Friday, October 27th
- October went by quickly!
- Thanks for the GREAT PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES!!!
- I will attend all grade level PLC meetings next week to discuss conferences, student data, possible new intervention groups, and schedule changes.
- Kids have been making growth in learning sight words, phonological awareness skills, reading accuracy, fluency using the 6 dimensions of fluency, addition and subtraction strategies within 20, place value, rounding skills, and multi-digit addition and subtraction.
- I enjoy working with all of my students and helping them accelerate their learning in order to master those grade level standards.
Lucy Calkins K-2 Writing
Big Take Aways!
- The Architecture of Effective Writing Mini-Lessons
- Teaching (Demonstration, Guided Practice, Explanation with Example, Inquiry)
- Active Engagement
- Link---when you transition from and to each---you will repeat your teaching point or learning target
- Mentor texts or read alouds help students understand what good writing sounds like
- Kids need to rehearse what they are going to write out loud
- White boards are practice space during shared writing
- Just right paper is key
- Narrative Writing should include the 3 Ts---talking, thinking, tiny actions
- Informational Writing---shared writing-envision it first, get the picture in your head, write together. On their own-kids choose a topic they are an expert on and think about all the things you know about the topic to plan
- Qualities of Writing---Structure, Development, Conventions