4-H Friday NewsBlast
‼2020 Awards and Fair Premiums ‼
EVERYONE WHO STILL HAS PREMIUM FUNDS/AWARDS AT THE OFFICE HAS BEEN EMAILED!
We still have premium money and awards that need picked up. If you are unable to pick up your awards or premium money, but someone has offered to pick them up for you, you must fill out an authorization form. Please email Tammy @ firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to the form. AWARDS AND PREMIUMS NOT PICKED UP OR ARRANGEMENTS MADE TO PICK UP BY JANUARY 31, 2021 WILL BE DONATED BACK TO 4-H!
4-H Summer Intern
Cass County Extension Office is seeking a 2021 4-H intern to work in our office during the summer - May 24th through August 16th. Send cover letter and resume to: Lauren Stohlmann email@example.com OR mail Cass County Extension Office, Attn: Lauren Stohlmann, 8400 144th Street, Suite 100, Weeping Water, NE 68463. Deadline for submission is Sunday, February 7th. More information can be found at Cass County 2021 summer Intern
Winter Fun Pack
Youth in Action Awards
- Applications for the 2022 4-H Youth in Action awards are now open! This awards program, coordinated by National 4-H Council, recognizes four outstanding young people ages 15-19 making meaningful impacts in their communities. Winners receive a $5,000 scholarship, an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington D.C. for National 4-H Council’s Legacy Awards, a personal promotional video showcasing their 4-H impact story, and much more! Learn more and apply at go.unl.edu/4hyia.
Nebraska 4-H 2021 Summer Camps
We have exciting news! Registration for Summer Camp 2021 is now OPEN! Check out our exciting 4 and 5 day overnight camp offerings at the NEBRASKA STATE 4-H CAMP in Halsey! Charter bus transportation option offered select weeks from Lincoln (UNL East Campus) and Grand Island (Raising Nebraska)! Register by Jan. 31st to receive 10% off per session! Use code: EARLYBIRD21
See full camp descriptions and register online: https://4h.unl.edu/camps-centers/summer-camp/schedule
2021 Annual Cornhusker Jr/Sr High School Shoot
Attention Shotgun participants: The annual Cornhusker Jr/Sr High School Shoot is scheduled for April 29, 30 and May 1, 2021. To participate in this shoot, youth must enroll or re-enroll in the 4-H Shotgun project by March 1, 2021. Contact Tracy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
👉Get Enrolled Today👈
**Sign up for the Special Garden Project while you are enrolling! 👇
2021 Nebraska 4-H Special Garden Project
2021 PICK A PROJECT NOW AVAILABLE
👈How to Pick A Project in 4HOnline:
Sometimes it is difficult to know which project to choose when registering in 4HOnline. The Pick Your Project resource can help! Using this searchable, web-based tool, users can search for projects by keywords, curriculum areas, knowledge levels, and geographic levels that link to 4HOnline projects. Curriculum and resources are directly linked within each of the fairbook entries within the new Nebraska State Fair 4-H Fairbook.
Special Agronomy Project
The Nebraska Extension Special Agronomy Project gives 4-H members an opportunity to experience a crop that is grown, was grown or has the potential to be grown in Nebraska. Youth participate by receiving seed and resources to grow the crop, research traits of the crop and determine the viability of that crop in the part of the state they live. The project allows 4-H members interested in agronomy to grow something fun, new, and different.
To kick-off the inaugural year of the special agronomy project, youth will explore teosinte. The plant looks and is very similar to corn, in fact it is believed to be the wild ancestor of today's corn! More details: Special Agronomy Project
2021 Cass County 4-H Calendar
Innovative Youth Corn Challenge 2.0
The Nebraska Innovative Youth Corn Challenge is approaching its tenth-year engaging youth in crop science-based education. The Innovative Youth Corn Challenge (IYCC) was created as a partnership between the Nebraska Corn Board and Nebraska Extension. Over $2,000 in cash prizes are awarded. More information can be found at: https://cropwatch.unl.edu/youth/cornchallenge
Animal Science: Inspiring Your Future Scholarship Contest
This is the inaugural year for the Animal Science: Inspiring Your Future Scholarship Contest and we will be awarding ten $5000 scholarships. We want students to tell us their digital story about an individual or animal who has inspired them to pursue an education and career in animal science. This can be done via video, essay, pictures, a combination of those things, or really any medium that allows them to comfortably express themselves. The website link is below that lists out the contest details and link to apply and submit their digital story. All entries must be submitted by Noon on February 15th!
2021 4-H Horse Stampede Contest
We have made some changes to our 4-H Horse Stampede contest for the 2021 year in accommodation with health restrictions and guidelines. More information can be found at: https://4h.unl.edu/horse/stampede
Nebraska Cattleman's Classic
We hope that you'll join us in Kearney, NE on February 13th for another great contest at the Nebraska Cattleman's Classic. One thing to note again is that it will be official dress and the entry deadline is February 5th. More details can be found here: https://cattlemens.org/index.php
Cackle Hatchery Photo Contest Winner!!! Charles C.
Charles won the Cackle Hatchery photo contest ribbon division. His photo was chosen out of 600 entries. The winner received a 100 dollar cash prize. Congratulations Charles!
Joke of the Week 😁
4-H Calendar - Be sure to check often for updates!
- January 31, 2021 - Year End Treasurers Reports Due - REQUIRED
- February 1-29, 2021 Nebraska 4-H Month
- February 2, 2021 4-H Leader Training 6pm @ the Extension Office
- February 9, 2021 YQCA in person training 6:30pm-7:30pm (sign up required)
- June 14, 2021 - District 4-H Horse Show - Scottsbluff
- June 15, 2021 - Statewide Enrollment Deadline
- June 15, 2021 - ALL Animal ID sheets due & county only horse ID/level testing
- June 15, 2021 - 4-H YQCA Testing complete and turned in to Extension Office
- June 15, 2021 - District 4-H Horse Show - Burwell
- June 16, 2021 - District 4-H Horse Show - Columbus
- June 17, 2021 - District 4-H Horse Show - Lincoln
- June 18, 2021 - District 4-H Horse Show - McCook
- June 28-29, 2021 - Life Challenge
- June 28-29,2021 - Premier Animal Science Event (PASE)
- June 30, 2021 - State 4-H Public Speaking Contest
- July 10-14, 2021 - Fonner Park State 4-H Horse Expo
- August 7, 2021 - Fairgrounds clean up - Livestock buildings and grounds
- August 8, 2021 - Static Exhibit Entry Day
- August 9, 2021 - Judging day for static Exhibits
- August 11-14, 2021 - Cass County Fair
- August 14, 2021 - 4-H Livestock Auction
Nebraska Extension Cass County
Lauren Stohlmann, Extension Educator and Unit Leader, email@example.com
Katie Kreuser, Extension Educator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Tracy Ensor, Extension Assistant, email@example.com
Tammy Cavanaugh, 4-H Support Staff, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sandy Prall, Office Manager, email@example.com
General Mailbox, firstname.lastname@example.org