Family Weekly Newsletter: October 10-14, 2022
OUR WEEK AT A GLANCE
We have seen an increase in unsafe behavior on the buses as the year has progressed.
A reminder that riding the bus is a PRIVILEGE. If behavior on the bus is unsafe students may be suspended from the bus for a period of time.
The same behavior that is expected in school & classrooms is expected on the bus. Bus safety is necessary for all riders & drivers. Bus drivers cannot safely drive your children's buses when buses are loud and chaotic. Please talk with your child about what safe bus riding looks like.
We appreciate your support and partnership in helping get our students to and from school safely.
Thursday, November 3 4:00pm - 7:30pm
Friday, November 4 8:00am - 11:30am
Monday, November 7 12:00pm - 8:00pm
Tuesday, November 8 - NO SCHOOL
The conference signup link will be shared next week and conferences will be by appointment only either in person or online.
We are providing a Taco Bar for our teachers on Monday, November 7.
Please click HERE to donate an item or two. Thank you in advance for your help!
SCHOOL PICTURE UPDATE!
PICTURE RETAKE DAY IS OCTOBER 27TH
DAILY SCHOOL INFORMATION
- Students will be able to enter the building beginning at 7:30 AM. They will grab a bagged breakfast (if they choose, meals are no longer free for all) and head to their locker and their first class, Advisory.
- School ends at 2:30 PM, this is a change from last year.
- Buses leave NMS by 2:45 each day
Office Hours: 7:15 AM - 3:15 PM
CLICK ABOVE TO SHOP FOR SPIRITWEAR!
THE NICOLLET NEWSCAST IS BACK!
STUDENT ACTIVITIES, SPORTS & CLUBS
WINTER SPORTS REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Girls Basketball - First Practice: 10/31/22
Boys Basketball - First Practice: 1/3/23
Boys/Girls Wrestling - First Practice: 11/21/22
Reduced fee if a student qualifies for educational benefits (free or reduced lunch): $25
All students must have a current (within the last 3 years) sports physical on file. If you plan to participate in a winter sport and need a physical do this sooner rather than later. Students will not be allow to practice without the physical.
SCIENCE CLUB IS BACK!
Check out the introduction video HERE!
PHOTOJOURNALISM YEARBOOK CLUB
Our Photojournalism club will meet every Tuesdays from 2:40 - 4:30 in room 100. Our club exists to allow students with a passion for photography to tell the story of Nicollet Middle School and our amazing community through their eyes! In this club, students will:
- Help create the Nicollet Yearbook!
- Learn to use a DSLR camera
- Learn how to tell a story with photos.
- Learn how to write captions for photos.
- Get into football, tennis, cross country, track, wrestliing, basketball, etc. games and other events as "Staff Photographer".
SINGERS & SWINGERS
FALL 2021 - Spring 2022
WITH MRS. BAKKEN and BEKAH BERRY
Come sing and dance! We will sing in the fall and learn the basics of east Coast Swing... including Jam Circles with aerials!
Fall: Students will learn a variety of holiday music to be performed at the MOA.
Spring: Students will learn specialized dance routines to perform during several field trips in the Spring. Parents are always welcome and encouraged to come along!
We meet every Thursday morning at 7:00 a.m. in the choir room or auxiliary gym.
Year Long: $99.00
FIRST PRACTICE OCTOBER 13TH!
Jazz band will improve overall playing skills and promote ear training. We have several fieldtrips during the year. We meet Tuesday & Friday mornings through Advisory. Can't be at school early? Students are more than welcome to join when they get to school and stay through Advisory!
Year Long: $99.00
FIRST PRACTICE OCTOBER 11TH!
The Nicollet Chess Club is open to all students even if you do not know how to play chess! We meet after school Tuesdays and Thursdays starting October 11th in the media center. For those interested, we do have competitions and parties as well! Register through ISD 191 community education. Should you have questions or need financial assistance, please contact coach Brian Ribnick (firstname.lastname@example.org)
No class Nov 3, 8, 24, Dec 25, 27, Mar 9.
WEEKLY STUDENT CLUBS & ACTIVITIES
Singers & Swingers - Thursdays 7:00AM in Choir Room, Ms. Bakken (begins 10/13)
Jazz Band - Tues. & Fri. 7:00AM through Advisory in Band Room, Ms. Bakken (begins 10/11)
Chess Club - Tuesdays & Thursdays 2:30 - 4:00 in the Media Center, Mr. Ribnik (begins 10/11)
Quiz Bowl - Thursdays 2:45 - 4:00 in Room 308, Mr. Hartman
Fishing Club - Information coming soon! Mr. Benson
Photojournalism Yearbook Club - Tuesdays 2:45 - 4:30 in Room 100, Mr. Reeves
Student Council - Wednesday (10/19) 2:40 - 3:40 in Room 114, Mr. Iverson/Mr. Sorensen
Dungeons & Dragons Club - Wednesdays 2:45 - 4:00 in Room 116, Mr. Iverson
Science Club - Tuesdays 2:30 - 4:00 in Room 311, Mr. Nemetz (begins 10/11)
BYC is BACK!
BYC Starts October 25th!
BYC is set to run: October 25, 2022 - April 27, 2023.
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!
BURNSVILLE SPIRIT STORE:
October store hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:00-3:30. Please note: the store will be closed both Tuesday and Thursday of MEA week. Can’t make it in during store hours? Just order online and pick up in the BHS office: https://isd-191.square.site/ Follow us on Facebook for the latest news, arrivals and updates:
Standard Response Protocol (SRP)
A reminder that opting into text messaging will allow you to be updated via text in the case of an emergency. Parents may do this by sending "Subscribe" to 67587.
FOUNDATION 191 FUNDRAISER
Gertens Winter Plant Fundraiser
Foundation 191 is a non-profit organization with volunteers who donate their time to raise funds in support of our students and teachers in ISD ONE91. Whether it is awarding scholarships for students moving on to post secondary schools or programs, or providing grant funds to teachers who have classroom needs for their students, Foundation 191 serves our students, families and community in partnership.
This year Foundation 191 is partnering with Sunny Gerten, one of the co-owners of Gertens Landscaping and Garden Center in Inver Grove Heights. Our own Adult Basic Education program has been providing free programming at Gertens for five years, and Foundation 191 is excited to partner with Gerten's to raise funds for students and teachers in our district.
Many teachers in our buildings have received classroom grants for supplies and materials. Our hope is that our district community may support Foundation 191 so we may continue to give back to our students and teachers in the coming year.
Foundation 191 receives 30% of all plant and greens sales and 15% of all gift card sales.
- Sale Opens: Friday, September 23rd
- Sale Closes: Thursday, October 20th @ 10 PM
- Delivery & Sorting: Friday, December 2nd
- Pick up by purchasers: Saturday, December 3rd at DEC
In order for us to effectively communicate with you throughout the school year, please make sure you update your address, phone numbers, email address and emergency contact/s on PARENTVUE. This information is very important as it is the only way to contact you in the event of an emergency.
We will send weekly bulletins for families through email. We will also regularly call home with voicemail message updates.
Additionally, Parents/Guardians now have the option of receiving text notification from District 191 and its schools. Text messages are timely and relevant, including weather related school closure information, emergency announcements and others.
In order to participate, parents/guardians must opt-in by texting “subscribe” to the
Learn more about ParentVue at https://www.isd191.org/enroll/student-information
Schoology connects students to their teachers. Students get class assignments, link to readings and guides selected by their teacher, collaborate with classmates, and work on self-paced learning activities. Families can see upcoming assignments and announcements, view assignments, test schedules and daily grades for current classes, and more.
Food and Nutrition Services
- Free meals for all students have expired.
- Families are encouraged to complete the Application for Educational Benefits. https://www.isd191.org/enroll/application-for-educational-benefits
- Meal prices are based on the results of completing the Application for Educational Benefits. It may take up to 10 days for your application to be processed. Families will receive a letter in the mail letting them know if they have been approved or denied. Meals must be paid for until families are notified of the results.
- Applications may be submitted at any time during the school year, and especially if there has been an increase to household members or decrease to household income.
- Money is expected to be deposited into meal accounts prior to making meal purchases. Money MUST be in accounts to make la carte purchases.
Credit/Debit Cards online through PayPams website
Cash at secondary schools using NetCash machines in the cafeteria
Checks at secondary schools using the check drop box
Cash or checks at elementary schools in a marked envelope provided to the student's teacher
- All students need to use their PIN (Personal Identification Number) at meals and should practice memorizing this 4 or 5 digit number.
- Menus, nutrition, and allergen information can be found online at https://schools.mealviewer.com/
- A special diet statement must be completed and on record in order for the Food & Nutrition Services department to make accommodations. https://www.isd191.org/discover/departments/health-services
- Visit the Food and Nutrition Services webpage for more information: https://www.isd191.org/discover/departments/food-nutrition-services
Parent Drop off & Pick up
Just a reminder that our parent drop-off location is on the east side of Nicollet near the tennis courts (the same location as parent pick-up). Please circle around the lot rather than pulling into parking spaces to avoid having your child cross through traffic to enter the school. Students should be picked up by 2:45pm. After school, you will only be able to turn RIGHT out of our parking lot. We appreciate your cooperation to make thIS process safe for EVERYONE.
If you are dropping your child off at school after 7:45 AM, please drop them off at the front of the school, door 1, because they will need to check into the office for a tardy pass to class.
Please do not enter the driveway between Sky Oaks and Nicollet. This is where buses are entering and exiting and dropping students off here is a safety concern.
THE MAP IS BELOW:
Please discuss the use of electronics at school with your child.
- All students are issued a Chromebook from ISD191 to be used for instructional and educational purposes. No other electronic devices should be used in place of chromebooks during the school day.
- All Chromebooks are to be used in alignment with the district electronics policy.
Headphone use is only allowed when requested by a teacher (no airpods).
- Electronic devices are never allowed to be used in bathrooms or locker rooms.
- Nicollet is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Cellphones are away for the day. If brought to school devices should be away from the first bell of the day (7:50am) and should not be taken out until the last bell of the day (2:30pm).
Policy 524: Internet Acceptable use and Safety Policy
- We understand the importance of students being able to access resources on the internet, both for current educational work and to help ensure students have the skills they need for future study and work.
- We provide students access to our computer system, including the internet, expressly for educational purposes, including classroom activities, research and college/career readiness activities.
- Students are expected to use our system in a safe manner and for these appropriate purposes.
School Nurse: Ms. Mjelleli "Nurse M"
Hours: 7:20AM - 3:20PM
- Monitor immunization status of students
- Manage health plans for students with health conditions
- Provide first aid and emergency care to students and staff
- Administer medication as ordered by a physician
- Maintain health service records
- Implement screening programs
- Surveillance of Communicable disease
Reminder: Immunizations- all incoming 6th graders needs to get the T-dap booster and Meningitis vaccine before starting 7th grade.
For information about health services, please go to: https://www.isd191.org/discover/departments/health-services
Fadlan la xiriir Axmad Kaahiye, is ku xirahanaga iskuulka Nicollet Middle School, wixii su'aala ah oo aad ka qabtid macluumaadkaa.
About Nicollet Middle School
School Hours: 7:50AM - 2:30PM