Second Grade Rock Stars
Diving into Dictionaries!
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
Coming on Tour Soon:
- 11/01: Daylight Savings (Fall Back 1 Hour!)
- 11/04: Explorit Science Night 6pm-8pm at DP Campus - Want to Volunteer? Click HERE
- 11/05: WAVE Meeting 6:30 pm at DP Campus
- 11/11: No School: Veteran's Day
- 11/12: WCS Board Meeting 6:00 pm at PW Campus
- 11/13: Olympic Triathalon Event Day - Check out the video!
- 11/19: Picture Retake Day
- 11/19-11/20: Early Dismissal Days (Parent Teacher Conferences) * Sign up HERE!
- 11/20: Hat Day
- 11/23-11/30: No School: Thanksgiving Break
- 12/01: WAVE Meeting
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
Exciting is an understatement for this week! We went on a walking science field trip with our buddies and rotated through stations to learn about habitats, ecosystems, traveling seeds, and erosion. While learning, we took temperatures, measured pH, measured angles on a protractor, asked questions, made hypotheses, observed closely, made connections, concluded results, which led us to ask more questions. Check out the video above for a quick glimpse of the day.
In Writing, we learned how to hook our readers with strategies to make the first sentence intriguing. We also have been working our way through the writing process. Most students are currently revising and editing their personal narrative stories and are getting ready to publish them into our class library. We can't wait!
In reading, we have been reading and listening to different versions of Cinderella from around the world. We have been comparing and contrasting the versions and realizing that the stories give us a learning opportunity about places and people. We also have been making connections, analyzing problems and solutions in different versions, learning about perspectives, and trying to look at the symbols within the stories. We can't wait to begin writing our very own fractured fairy tales soon!
In math, we have been focusing on really explaining our strategy and reasoning during our Math Magician time. Students are getting great at showing their strategy to solve with a picture and explaining their strategy verbally to classmates. Students also have really grown in their understanding of place value in the past couple of weeks. Please continue to emphasize the use of academic mathematical jargon at home, such as tens, ones, hundreds, addends, sum, regroup, etc.
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Inferencing, Point of View, Different Perspectives, and Fractured Fairytales
Writing: Narrative Writing: Writing Process
Language: Adverbs and Editing Marks
Science: Coming up with a solution to slow down or prevent erosion
Theme: Genres, Folktales, and Fairytales!
Questions to ask your child...
- What does it mean to regroup?
- What was your favorite Science Station on Friday?
- What are some comparisons between the original Cinderella and Sydney Rella?
- What are some contrasts between the original Cinderella and Sydney Rella?
- What can we use a dictionary for?
- Can you tell me how you might find a word in the dictionary?
- Can you answer the Math Monday problem? CLICK HERE to get to it. Remember to answer in a complete sentence. Extra points for explaining what strategy you used!
Contact the Band Manager!
Second Grade Teacher
Westlake Charter School
All of Second Grade Reminders Text: @wcs2nd to the phone number: 81010
Messages that only pertain to our class: text @4rockstar to the number: 81010