Floral Design White House Project
History of the Red Room
The Red Room received its name after red fabrics were used for the draperies, upholsteries and floor covering in the 1840s. In 1933, First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt used the Red Room to host the first of many press conferences for women reporters who at that time were excluded from the President's press conferences. The furniture in the Red Room dates from the years 1810-1830. All the fabrics now in the Red Room were woven in the United States from French Empire designs. The walls are covered by a red twill satin fabric with a gold scroll design in the border. In 2000 the Red Room was refurbished, preserving the American Empire style chosen in 1962.