DOG DAYS by Karen English CHAPTER 3
Brought to you by Navasota ISD and Texas Reads One Book
Read-Aloud Tip for Families - Make reading time a priority!
Chapter 3: Problems, Problems, Problems
Have you ever had to do something to fix a mess you made? Or have a consequence for a mistake you made? Or just a chore you didn't want to do? In this chapter, Gavin has to make up for breaking his sister's snowglobe. So what is he going to have to do??? We will find out!!
Chapter 3: Vocabulary Terms
- protests (pg 29) - speaking out in disapproval or opposition
- grotesque (pg 29) - ugly or distorted
- pursing (pg 30) - bringing tightly together; puckering
- quarters (pg 30) - a place where you will live or stay
- pleading (pg 31) - begging
- grim (pg 31) - stern or harsh
- modern (pg 32) - characteristic of present and recent time; not ancient
- extract (pg 33) - remove
- uncharacteristically (pg 34) - not the typical behavior of
- deflate (pg 34) - to dash someone's hopes
Chapter 3: Trivia Questions
- What does Aunt Myrtle do that upset Gavin's mother?
- What is unique about Gavin's teacher?
- How is life like math?
- What was Antonia's problem?
- What does Richard keep saying that upsets Gavin?
Chapter 3: Discussion Question
Family Activity: Being a Responsible Pet Owner (Community Service)
Make a visit to a local shelter to volunteer or visit with the animals that do not have families.
Donations to the shelters are also great ways to get involved! Take a trip to the local pet store and purchase some items as a family and donate them.