February 8, 2016
February 15th - No school for students (professional development day)
February 23 - PTO Meeting (3rd Grade performs)
A special request...
- Since our class will be playing basketball in P.E. this week, please make sure your child wears tennis shoes on Tuesday.
- Today, our teacher cadet from Chapin High School, Alyssa Powers, joined us for her first day in the classroom. She will be with us on B day mornings. Please add her to the Valentine's list since she will be with us this Friday.
- Valentine's Day is right around the corner. We will celebrate Valentine's Day on Friday, February 12th. Please have your child bring in a decorated box or bag for Valentine's Day. Please also make sure they have their name written clearly on the front so that other students can read it easily when delivering valentines. There will not be a party, but we will have a snack and spend time opening valentine cards. Please also remember that due to the District Five Snack Policy, we cannot give out candy to students, so please do not include any type of candy in the valentine cards. Click here for a student list of names in our class.
- In spelling this week, we discussed two syllable words ending with a consonant + er, as in summer, ladder and bigger.
- We are finishing main idea and details this week. We will begin discussing cause and effect, as well as reading folktales in class.
- In writing, we are writing snow poetry, using figurative language (adjectives, similes, metaphors and personification).
- The idiom of the week is "hit the nail on the head." Ask your child if he can explain what this means.
This week we will begin reading both digital and analog clocks. Today we practiced telling time to the hour, and as the week progresses, we will be telling time to the quarter hour and five minutes.
There will be a fact test on Thursday this week. Please continue to help your child study for these tests.
We are continuing our social studies unit on heritage this week. This week we will begin looking a the different Native American tribes and where they were located in the United States.