Fourth Grade News
Mrs. Spencer's Class - Weeks of 10/12 & 10/19
I am passing along the same core newsletter with a few additions for this week due to last week's short week. I missed seeing students over the long weekend, so it is so fantastic to be back in action today! This is a superb group of fourth graders, and I absolutely love working alongside of them each day!
Please remember for your child to dress for the weather for our field trip Friday afternoon to Cascade Meadow in Rochester. We will plan to be outside for some duration of the afternoon, and we'll likely be walking into the wetlands a bit, so good footwear is critical! Thanks for your help. We WILL eat lunch at school, so there is no need to send a bagged lunch. If you have questions, please let me know.
Lunch Bunch in the Classroom!
UPDATES, OBJECTIVES, & LINKS
This Week's Important Updates:
- Winter Clothing Drive: The FCCLA/Club Leo clothing drive is happening now! Winter apparel can be dropped off at the ES, HS, Community Ed building or Citizens State Bank in Mantorville. See attached flyer for details.
- Chess Club: Check out the attached flyer for Chess Club registration information. This is a fantastic opportunity for students, and no prior experience is required!
- Yearbook Pre-Ordering: You may pre-order yearbooks at this time. The link to order is: https://ybpay.lifetouch.com/. Orders will still be due in the late-Winter time, and I will notify you as I know the deadline.
- Transportation Changes?: Please write a note in your child’s planner, send me a note, or send me an e-mail any time your child has a change in transportation plans.
SAVE THE DATE: The “K-M CANtastic CANstruction Food Drive” is scheduled for October 26th-30th!
This Week's Objectives:
- We are summarizing The Stranger.
- We are reading the play "The Lion and the Mouse" and discussing characteristics of fables.
- We are beginning to read our October issue of Storyworks.
- We are discussing various CAFE (Comprehension, Accuracy, Fluency, Expanding Vocabulary) strategies for reading and setting goals for reading.
- We are determining data landmarks (maximum, minimum, range, mode, median, and mean) for a set of data.
- We are reviewing multidigit addition and subtraction.
- We are reading and writing large numbers to review place value.
- We are completing "What's My Rule?" tables (input/output).
- We are solving multiplication facts. **Help your child remember to practice basic facts at home! This will be a HUGE help as we begin multidigit multiplication.**
Science/ Social Studies:
- We are discovering how humans interact with the water cycle.
- We are learning about watersheds prior to our Cascade Meadow field trip this Friday! **Please ensure that your child is dressed for the weather for our field trip, as we will plan to be outside for a portion of the afternoon.**
- In Mr. Naylor's Social Studies class, students are developing mapping skills.
- We are having a health lesson from nursing students about hand washing and staying healthy.
Great Video Clip - We watched together & discussed.
Many Thanks to Guest Readers Mrs. Hegge & Mrs. Lenzmeier (my mom). We Love to Read!
Wishing you a wonderful week!
Please contact me with any questions or comments.