5th Grade Newsletter
Happy New Year!
Mrs. Cook - Language Arts & Social Studies
Welcome back from a nice Christmas break! Hopefully everyone feels rejuvenated and ready to dive back in to learning! To finish off our 2nd 9 Weeks we will be learning about Figurative Language. This week we will be doing a WebQuest (an online scavenger hunt) to learn about the different types of Figurative Language.
Our Social Studies topic will be Slavery in the Colonies. This leads us into talking about tension in the colonies, declaring independence from Britain, and the Revolutionary War.
Scholastic Book Order: Your student may bring home Scholastic Orders from time to time. If you would like to purchase, the easiest way is by going online to: www.scholastic.com/bookclubs and using our class code: MCQ9Z
If online ordering doesn't suit you, you may choose to send a check (made payable to Scholastic). This helps us to earn FREE books for our classroom! :) I will submit the orders at the end of each month. Our next order will be submitted at the end of January.
Ms. Price - Math
Unit 5 Fractions
- Build other fractions from unit fractions
- Add like fractions
- Compare unit fractions with like denominators
- Apply greater than (>) and less than (<) notation
- Subtract like fractions and mixed numbers
- Understand simple algebraic notation for fractions
- Practice adding and subtracting with like denominators
Accelerated math is homework every night!
Mrs. Young - Science
Please advise your children to dress for winter weather. We will be going out for recess, and we don't want your child to be cold. I wish you all a Happy New Year and look forward to what 2016 has in store for our fabulous fifth grade family!
Info for Parents & Students
- Please be sure to sign your child's planner each night in PEN with your FULL name (no initials). Students need to be proactive by bringing their planner to you with all of their homework listed.
- Each Friday there will be a conduct grade written into your child's planner. This conduct grade takes into consideration behavior, talking, work ethic (classwork & homework), and how well the 7 Habits have been followed each week.