Australia

The Wonders of Australia

Geography

Covering a total area of 7.69 million square kilometers mainland Australia is the world’s largest island - but smallest continent.

In distance, the continent stretches about 3700 kilometers from north to south and 4000 kilometers from east to west, making it the sixth-largest nation after Russia, Canada, China, the United States and Brazil.

Australia is also the only continent that is governed as a single country. It is sometimes informally referred to as an 'island' continent, surrounded by oceans.

Their ocean territory is also the third-largest in the world, spanning three oceans and covering around 12 million square kilometers. Australia currently has a population of almost 23 million people.


Typical Weather

In the Summer the typical weather is Much like it would be here in Florida or in Southern California. Its Humid and hot! Rainy sometimes. The coastal areas around Sydney are mild in the winter with minimum temperatures often staying above 50 to 60 degrees F.

Australian Food

Australia has become famous in the culinary world for its 'fusion' food: since the 1970's Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese Japanese and Indian immigrants in particular have had a big impact on Australian cuisine. As well as Asian, you will also be able to find Spanish, Balkan, Hungarian, Turkish and Lebanese restaurants.

Think of Australian food and most people imagine barbeques and Vegemite. Some other traditional Aussie fare is shown below.

Meat Pie
Traditionally served with a dollop of tomato ketchup or, in Adelaide, floating on a bed of mushy peas.

Chicko Rolls (inspired by Chinese spring rolls)
These were invented as a hot snack that could be eaten with one hand, leaving the other free for a beer.

Surf'n'turf
According to some, this mix of meat (steak or pork) plus seafood served with salad is making a bit of a comeback.

Australia's Plants

There are an estimated 27,700 plant species in Australia, including living fossils such as the cycad palm and the grass tree, and brilliant wildflowers such as the waratah, Sturt’s desert pea, banksia and kangaroo paws.

They also have around 2800 species of eucalyptus (gum trees), and 1000 species of acacia, which we call ‘wattle’. The Golden Wattle is Australia’s floral emblem. Eucalyptus make up almost 80 percent of our forests. Acacias, melaleuca (tea tree), casuarinas (she-oaks), callitris (cypress pine), mangrove and rain-forests make up the other 20 percent.


Australia's Animals

Most Popular City

Sydney

Sydney is the state capital of New South Wales and the most popular city in Australia. It is located on Australia's south-east coast of the Tasman Sea.



Population: 4,627,345 (2012)

Area: 4,689 sq miles (12,140 km²)

Founded: 1788



Aboriginal Culture

The Dream-time is the sacred ‘time before time’ of the world’s creation. According to Aboriginal belief, totemic spirit ancestors emerged from the earth and descended from the sky to awaken a dark and silent world. They created the sun, moon and stars, forged mountains, rivers, trees and waterholes and changed into human and animal forms. Spirit ancestors connect this ancient past with the present and future through every aspect of Aboriginal culture. Rock Art, craft and bark painting reveal Dream-time stories, mark territory and record history, while songs tell of Dream-time journeys, verbally mapping water sources and other essential landmarks.

Brochure By

Juan Barragan