Sora Instructions for Northside ISD Students and Employees
Are you ready to Sora?
It might be comforting to know that all Northside students and employees have had remote access to a collection of fabulous eBooks and audio books for years!
Sora is easy to use. It has features such special curated collections, note taking, word definition within the text, and digital badges for reading accomplishments! Best of all, you can access these materials anytime, anywhere, including from the safety of your own home.
What exactly is Sora all about?
How do I get started?
- Open a web browser and type Soraapp.com, or
- Open the Sora App on your iPad, chromebook, or smartphone
- Click on "My school is Northside Independent School District 915"
- If you don't see that message in the green button, go to the bottom of that page and click on "I have a setup code."
- Use setup code: johnpaulstevens
- Sign into Northside ISD with your username, which is your s# if you are a student or e# if you are a district employee.
You can also download the Sora App on any smart device by searching Sora in your App store.
Learn about Sora's features in the video below.
Add the Sora App on any Smart Device
Whether it is on a laptop computer, a phone, or a tablet, you can access and continue to read from where you last read. Look for the prompt asking if you how you want to proceed.
Getting Started Directions Languages other than English
Expand your choices by linking to the San Antonio Public Library Collection!
One last thing before you can check out a book from SAPL...
- Select Northside ISD
- Use your e# or s# as your username
- Check out and read your new book from SAPL on Sora!
Video instructions are below.
Access Collections in Sora (Where to find Spanish Titles for Young Readers, as well)
Read in a Variety of Languages
What makes Sora great for students?
- Easy to use, one tap to get inside a book
- The largest catalog of ebooks and audiobooks…made even larger by access to your public library through Sora. Just add your SAPL library card number to increase your access to books.
- Exportable notes, highlights for collaborative learning
- Personalized with book recommendations and learning tools like dyslexic font, enlarged text, Read-Alongs and audiobooks
- Badges and achievements to engage students
- Same experience on all devices
- Direct support for readers provided by OverDrive
Tip: Print these and put a QR code on the back that links to a video of you introducing yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How many books can I check out and how long can I have them?
If you were a Sora user before, you may have noticed a change in how many books you are able to check out.
To assist students who are using Sora for assigned reading, the loan policies are as follows. All patrons may:
Borrow 3 titles at a time
Place holds on 5 titles
Enjoy a loan period that is 21 days for ebooks and audiobooks
When you are finished with a title, return it early so others may borrow it and so you may access another.
Q. How do we know when a book on hold becomes available?
Q.What is the assigned book feature about? How do we do that?
Title assignments are used to ensure that a whole class receives a copy of a book that their campus has purchased for their use. This feature is also used for students with reading or visual impairments who need digital copies of a book that a class is currently reading. Teachers may make a request to their campus librarian that a title be assigned to one or a few students if they see need. Their campus librarian will take the request to the Sora administrator.