OVS Weekly Update
May 18, 2018 Edition, Volume 75
Mark Your Calendars!
May 22-24: Field Day- wear comfortable clothes and sunscreen
Full-time students will need to bring a lunch!
Other Important dates
June 4th-8th: Watch your email for 2018-19 course selection
June 4th-29th: Summer School for select students-check emails for those who qualify
K-8 Location Next Year--WE ARE NOT MOVING!!
This is a relief to our team, so that this summer we can focus solely on making enhancements to our learners' experiences for the fall. Staying put for one more year will allow us to do so.
Returning Device and Materials
The last day of school is fast approaching! This week (May 22-24th), students will be required to return their device and all accessories during their face to face session.Within the next two weeks, you will receive instructions and labels for returning your materials to K12. For additional information please check out the K12 website!
If for any reason the device or accessories are damaged or lost, you are responsible for the cost of replacement. You can bring cash or make a check payable to Omaha Public Schools; paid at the time of returning the device. The device coverage, if paid at the beginning of the year, only covers the cost of the device if damage has been reported.
Replacement costs are:
Wireless mouse: $18.99
Stream (K-5th grade): $266.17/ea
612 (6-8th grade): $805.59/ea
Stylus for 612: $45.99
Charging cord for both devices $49
How do I know what materials to return?
By accessing My Info from within the Online School (OLS), you can view a list of all materials your student(s) will need to be returned once the course has ended. Please note that you must be logged in to the Learning Coach account for access to My Info.
How to View Materials to Return in My Info
Log into the Learning Coach account and then follow the directions below:
- Click the Learning Coach Profile Toolbar, located on the top-right of the home page
- Click the link My Info
- Select the student name, and then the "Orders" tab to see a list of all material orders
- Select the order number that you would like to view
- Scroll down to Course Materials to view a summary of your order; this includes a list of the materials provided for each course, the kit name/SKU number, the order status, and tracking information.
- Click the arrow (>) to see the items provided in each course kit
- Use the icons (next to each item) and the Return status listed below, to determine which materials will or will not need be returned once the course and/or School Year is complete
Upcoming Information Sessions
Pass Along to Anyone Interested in Learning about OVS
We will also being needing volunteer at multiple events we will be hosting in May and June. Please consider volunteering for the Curriculum Night and OVS 360 Experience. More details to come.
Learning HQ Deal: Missed out on getting a game? Take your OVS badge into Learning HQ and they will give you 20% off. Learning HQ is located at 2932 S 84th St.
OVS T-shirts Available: We still have grey and blue t-shirts available for sale. There are limited sizes and quantities. The blue shirts are $10 and the grey shirts are $17. Here is what is available:
- Blue Shirt: Youth Medium (2) and Youth Large (1)
- Grey Shirt: Youth Small (3), Medium (3) and Large (5), Adult Small (2) and Adult Medium (2)
Omaha Public Library Summer Reading Kick Off
This week, we had a representative from the Omaha Public Library tell families about the Summer Reading Program! The Summer Reading Program Kickoff Parties start next week! Join us at the W. Dale Clark Main Library next Friday from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or on Saturday from 1-3 p.m. at our 11 other locations to sign up for the summer reading program, enjoy fun activities and musical performances and learn why "Libraries Rock!"
Find information about your local OPL branch's SRP Kickoff Party!
Summer Activities for Youth
- General list of free activities in Omaha for your family! Click HERE!
- Great resource of Fun summer ideas for parents HERE!
- Omaha Public Libraries: Check out the Summer reading programs and other events!
- YMCA: The YMCA offers several activities like summer camps, day camps and sports programs to keep youth active all summer long. There are over 20 locations in Nebraska offering activities for all ages. Find a YMCA near you.
- Kids Bowl Free Summer Program: Sign your children up to receive two free games of bowling per day all summer long.
- Parks Nebraska Game and Parks has information about parks, trails, hunting and fishing on their website! Check out what they have to offer around you!
- The Durham Museum in downtown Omaha is a great attraction to explore and expand on the history of our community and state.
- Visit the Joslyn Art Museum in Omaha for FREE!
- There are hundreds of museums statewide that have educational opportunities for all ages.
- Science and Math Camps: Aim for the Stars Science and Math camps at the University of Nebraska Omaha!
- The Henry Doorly Zoo offers day camps for ages 3‐12 and educational courses for all ages.
- The Lincoln Children’s Zoo offers day camps and overnight stays for ages 3‐12 and adventure camps forages14‐20.
- Aksarben Aquarium Outdoor Education Center is one of four education centers in Nebraska. Aksarben Aquarium Outdoor Education Center offers an interactive classroom experience, tours
- Pioneers Park & Nature Center is an 1,100‐acre park that includes public art, an outdoor amphitheater, picnic areas, hiking/biking trails, ponds, a sled run and a golf course.
Great Resource for Students up to 3rd Grade
Ms. Roger's Classroom
We finished writing our paragraphs about our favorite spring activities. Students used their organizer to create a 5 sentence paragraph. I will send these home next week! They are very excited to show you!
We had a visitor from the Omaha Public Library who talked with us about the Summer Reading Program. Visit their website to register.
Kindergarten students were able to choose 10 books thanks to Mr. Evans and Scholastic. These books are the students to keep, they were so excited when they found this out! Take a look at the letter for information about the Scholastic Summer Reading Program and a summer subscription to Book Flix!
Continue to work on K12 progress, if you have any questions please let me know.
Remember your device, headphones, and mouse. We will be checking in all of these items. Also please wear comfortable clothes and tennis shoes, we will be playing games inside and outside to celebrate all of our growth this past year!
Mr. Dowling's Classroom
This is it!!!
We have one more week of school. All of us teachers are excited for our field day. We have many fun activities planned that will promote teamwork and help us celebrate the past year. Weather permitting, some of these activities will be outside.
Please make sure your students bring their computer, charger, mouse and headphones. We will have device check-in as one of the stations. Also, please have them bring a backpack. We will be handing back all artifacts you turned in as well as writer’s notebooks, book projects and more!!!
Thank you for all of your hard work this year!
Ms. Nommensen's Classroom
Happy Summer! We have reached the end of the school year and it is so bitter sweet! While I look forward to taking a breath and relaxing for a few minutes, I’m going to miss each and every one of you! This week we are up for some fun! We will be having field day during face to face sessions! We will be turning in devices, doing art projects, playing games, and bingo! If you come in the mornings, we will be having a picnic at noon. Have the kids wear sunscreen and comfortable clothes and shoes. We will be running so they will need tennis shoes! Have a great weekend!
Mr. Gamble's Classroom
Ms. Blackburn's Classroom
Ms. Robison's Classroom
9th Grade Newsletter
Troubles with your device?
Parents will get an email response following your submission. One of our staff members will email parents back to provide assistance, so be sure to check your email after sending your concern.