Banning Lewis Academy Newsletter
Information for Kindergarten-12th Grade (October 8, 2021)
What's Happening at BLA!
Elementary School: We had a great week at the Ranch!
What have we been up to…
- Due to the beautiful weather, students spent their lunch periods out on the cafeteria patio.
- Z Ultimate was here for Karate club on Tuesday.
- 2nd Grade hosted a wonderful celebration night to share their success thus far with families.
- Parent teacher conferences will be held on Thursday, October 14th from 1pm-6pm and Friday, October 15th from 8am-4pm.
- Pony Pep Squad registration is open until the 13th! Get your spot now!
Thank you to…
- Thank you for an amazing and fun October Count – Walk to School event!
- THANK YOU, PTO! PTO is doing a fantastic job in supporting our building, planning events, and being a true presence at the Ranch!
Prep-MS/ HS: Parent Teacher Conferences Thursday, October 14th and Friday, October 15th
- Thursday Conferences will be prearranged. You will be contacted by your student’s teacher via email if you are being asked to sign up for a scheduled conference.
- Friday will be a drop in format for conferences from 8:00 am - 11:50 am and 1:00 pm - 3:50 pm . We will conclude the conferences promptly at 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm on Friday to honor teacher contract hours.
Thank you, PTO!
- For the snacks and help with Homecoming – the students really enjoyed the treats. Also, thank you for the snacks for our teachers – they have enjoyed having something extra in the breakroom.
- Mrs. Rivera (8th grade math) and Mr. Jones (Registrar) we wish you the best and will miss you both.
- Mrs. Henry – 8th Grade Math
- Mr. Jensen – Building Substitute
- Mrs. Young – Building Substitute
- Mr. Rehorst – High School Calculus
- Mrs. Montano – Front Desk Secretary
Monitoring Potential Disruptive Social Media Trend
Dear Students and Families,
Many of you are aware that there was recently a Tik Tok challenge that encouraged students to vandalize school property and film themselves doing it. This Tik Tok challenge was apparently part of a series of challenges, known as “Devious Licks”, that encourages students to engage in a new counterproductive behavior each month. The October challenge is to slap or otherwise assault a staff member. Many of the challenges outlined in the coming months include actions that are criminal in nature.
We take any potential threat to the safety of students and staff very seriously. Although unverified, our law enforcement partners, our safety and security team and district leadership are concerned by reports suggesting this type of activity will resurface. Accordingly, we encourage all to remain vigilant in the event our campuses experience additional influential and disruptive trends.
We value your partnership in bringing an end to any activity that threatens the safety of Banning Lewis Academy. We strongly encourage all families to have a serious discussion with their students and clearly state expectations regarding appropriate behavior. Anyone engaging in any type of unwanted physical contact is subject to both school and law enforcement consequences, which may include criminal charges of assault.
As always, we encourage all of our staff, students and families to stay alert and report any suspicious activity. We will remain proactive to ensure safe environments await every BLA learner, staff member and guest.
Thank you for your attention and trust,
Athena Rehorst, BLPA Interim High School Principal
Rick Dahlman, BLPA Middle School Principal
Cassandra Prosch, BLRA Elementary Principal
Letter From a Leader: Kevin Junod, Elementary Dean of Students
Hello Stallion Family,
As the season and weather begins to change it is a good time to remind everyone of Banning Lewis Ranch’s uniform policy. When students are outside, they can wear any school appropriate sweater, coat, or hoodie to stay warm. As students enter the building, they will need to take off any sweater, hoodie, or coat that is not uniform.
For a sweater, coat, or hoodie to be considered uniform it must be:
- One Solid Color – Navy, Burgundy, Forest Green, Gray, and Black
- Can have a Banning Lewis Ranch Logo
- No other logos are permitted
This is a good time to revisit our Banning Lewis Ranch shirt policy. The Ranch’s policy is different than the Prep’s policy. For a shirt to be uniform it must be one of the solid colors:
- Light Blue
- Navy Blue
- Fire Truck Red
There are some common mistakes for the Ranch’s uniform policy. Students can not wear shirts that are:
- Royal Blue
Thank you, Stallion Family, and hope you enjoy the changing of the weather and seasons as much as I do!
Parents, Please Join Us on the SAC!
The School Accountability Committee (SAC) is a group of BLRA and BLPA parents, teachers, and administrators who discuss topics mandated by the State of Colorado: review school performance and improvement plans, approve BLA’s use of Mill Levy tax funds, and make recommendations to the School Board for budget priorities. We meet bi-monthly and it's open to all. Please join us this year.
Next meeting is October 11 at 6:00 pm. Find info here:
Topics at Monday's Oct 11 meeting include:
- Elect SAC officers
- Improving student performance
- Upcoming County Ballot Measures
- School Budget
K-12 Substitutes $140/Day!!
BLPA and BLRA are looking for substitutes for this year!
If you are interested in subbing at either or both campuses, please click on the link to apply.
Substitute Teacher Qualifications:
- A Substitute Authorization https://www.d49.org/Page/424
- A Colorado Teacher License
If you have any questions regarding being a substitute at either campus, email Cynthia Harding at firstname.lastname@example.org