The Place For Me
CPT: Grade 9 Academic Science
Part 1: Research
a.) 1. I could use a "green" environment around my home by planting many trees across the landscape to produce fresh, breathable air around the area. I would also include many beautiful flowers good for the surrounding ecosystems, animals and just to amuse the eye. Houses and their environment need to have life and color too!
2. I would plant many native trees to Canada, familiar to the temperature deciduous forest biome (located in Ontario) such as pine trees, and ever greens. Also, shrubs and fruit trees such as apple, orange, peach, cherry and pear trees that benefit both the environment (produce oxygen) and food for my family. I would plant crops such as carrots, onions, tomatoes, lettuce, beans and different types of berries. I wouldn't use any pesticides because I think you need to appreciate the wildlife around us. I would rather stick to organic fertilizers to use in my garden because nothing will be artificial and it wouldn't harm any organisms. I also believe that anything natural is best when it comes to caring for the environment and nature.
3. I would use an electric car as my mode of transportation to park in my driveway because it is a greener alternative than to rather choose gas powered cars that pollute the air. Or bikes, that may not pollute the air or use electricity but isn't as efficient as cars are for a daily use. Also, electric cars aren't that expensive as regular cars, but they are very fuel efficient and have a high level of ease of use. Not to mention, you don't have to waste money for gas. Yay!
4. I would use recycling, garbage, and compost bins as types of waste managements to include in my home design.
5. My family would sponsor the sea otter and the spotted owl at my local zoo because they are at the point of extinction and I care for wildlife and nature. Therefore, everything is important to everything else.
4. It is a non-metal.
c.) The Characteristics Of Electricity
Physical Structures/ Appliances/ Light Bulbs
3. I would choose a refrigerator, oven, washing machine and dish washer as my main appliances in my home because these particular appliances are used daily and are very useful because we use them for many reasons such as cooking, and cleaning for our everyday life. It is important for appliances to be a part of EnerGuide or Energy Star because you want these appliances to be energy efficient, useful and to last as long as possible to be used for your whole family.
4. I would include LED (light-emitting diode) light bulbs in my home design because it is long-lasting and extremely energy efficient, but is quite pricey. But if I were to choose a cheaper alternative, I would choose incandescent light bulbs because they are usually the least expensive and last usually between 700 to 1000 hours and can be dimmed. Although, it is not as energy efficient as other options.
d.) The Study of the Universe
Part 2: Home Design
So this is what makes this home, the place for me.
References of CPT
· Canada's Endangered Species. (1994, April). In Raysweb. Retrieved from http://raysweb.net/specialplaces/pages/canada-es.html
· Light Bulbs: Know the Different Types. (2015). In HGTV. Retrieved from http://www.hgtv.com/design/decorating/design-101/light-bulbs-know-the-different-types
· Muma, W. (n.d.). Trees and Shrubs - Native Species. In Ontario Trees & Shrubs. Retrieved from http://www.ontariotrees.com/main/alien_native.php?type=N
· Sachs, H. M. (2009, September 3). 9 Ways to Make Your Home More Energy Efficient . In Green Home Guide. Retrieved from http://greenhomeguide.com/know-how/article/9-ways-to-make-your-home-more-energy-efficient
· What's Here. (2014). In Evergreen. Retrieved from http://www.evergreen.ca/get-involved/evergreen-brick-works/whats-here/evergreen-garden-market/?gclid=CP6z1vPNmcMCFQ-OaQodQiEA0w
· Young, M. (2014). Household Chemicals: What's in My House. In Cleveland Clinic. Retrieved March 5, 2014, from http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/healthy_living/hic_Household_Chemicals_The_Basics/hic_Household_Chemicals_Whats_in_my_House