Patrick Marsh Middle School Band
This Week in Band at PMMS (Oct 26-30, 2020)
Make Up Lessons This Week
Thank you for encouraging your child's growth through music. We see some great progress taking place and look forward to what lies ahead. Encourage your child to be consistent with their practice again this week. The goal should be to complete one page in their lesson book!
Reading Notes In A Galaxy Not So Far Away!
In an effort to help our young musicians to learn how to read musical notation, we purchased a fun game called Staff Wars. This is an essential cognitive process, similar to reading text, that gets better with repetition. So....what better way to practice than with a game! Challenge your child to a match and see who gets the highest score!
- Staff Wars Link: http://www.staffwarslive.com/
7th Grade Bands Making Overseas Connections
South Africa - 1st hour (House A/B), 2nd hour (House C), and AVID. School website: http://www.roedeanschool.co.za/
Australia - 3rd hour (House E), 4th hour (House D) School Website: https://kalamundashs.wa.edu.au/
The goal of this project is to learn about their culture, music, and consider global challenges that we share. In this time of isolation we can reach out to find that we have more in common than we first thought. The students will be creating videos that we can send to our new friends over the course of the next few weeks. We will keep you in the loop!
7th Grade Jazz -Tuesdays
7th grade jazz band is an additional opportunity for students to explore a different genre of music. This year we will be focusing on learning the 12 bar blues, improvisation, and some standard jazz charts and melodies.
7th Grade Jazz are on Tuesdays from 2:30-3:00 PM. All 7th grade musicians, regardless of instrument, are encouraged to join. 7th grade jazz will meet every Tuesday at that same time.
Join Mrs. Haraldson on Tuesdays to learn about this truly American art form. Here is the link:
DISTANCE LEARNING REMINDERS
- CAMERAS - Please ask your child to turn on their cameras during class (If possible). Certainly, there are reasons to keep it off (WIFI signal strength, etc). However, we rely on seeing your children as much as we do hearing them. As you can imagine, seeing hand placement, embouchures (mouth), posture, instrument angles, etc are all visual cues that assist us. If your child's camera doesn't work on their Chromebook, please have them fill out an Incident IQ Repair Request online to get it fixed.
- FOOD/DRINK - Please remind your kids that eating food and then playing immediately afterward will get food particles into their wind instruments causing damage. Students should take a drink of water after eating and before playing and always avoid eating while playing in general.
- CHAIRS - We have noticed a number of students sitting on couches or recliners during their lesson or band class. Your child will play best using a hard, flat chair like a wooden kitchen chair. Students are encouraged to stand and play (depending on the instrument) as well. However, stay away from beds, couches, and other soft surfaces.
- DOGS/CATS - Nothing wrong with this at all. Love seeing them : ) Even the fish.
Virtual Private Lessons are Here!
Where Can We Find Information About Band This Year?
1. This newsletter will be sent every Sunday afternoon. It will contain the plan for the week, updates on classwork, and special events or opportunities.
2. Our PMMS Band Website will have weekly lesson plans, resources, links, and our weekly lesson schedule. I will also keep links to all of our newsletters on this website if you ever need to look for something shared previously but lost it in your inbox. Consider the website as the "go to" place to find out information this year.