Freak the Mighty
A tale for the Underdog in us All
Our story is set in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. It is told from the perspective from Max, a boy that doesn't know how to stop growing and his adventures with his best friend Kevin. Kevin has the opposite problem- His brain is too big for his body. Separately, they are isolated. Together, they are Freak the Mighty!
Friendship, Self Discovery, & Adventure
This book is a coming of age tale for us all. It demonstrates the importance of friendship, adventure, and how we can regularly make a difference in others' lives and have them move us in turn. You should read this story to see yourself in Max or Freak's shoes (you may feel yourself feeling close to one of them at different times). This book features action, adventure, and friendship that helps you to become a better self. The text gets to the heart of what it is like to be growing up. If you want to go on an emotional rollercoaster with these kinds of feelings, buckle in for a wild ride!
About the Author
- Philbrick was born in 1951 in Boston and grew up in New Hampshire. He has been writing novels since he was 16 and short stories since he was in the sixth grade
- Two of his detective novels were nominated for the Shamus award, and in 1993, the same year Freak the Mighty made its debut (and success), his book finally won the award
- Freak the Mighty has well over three million copies in print
- His novel "The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg" won a Newberry Honor
- He is still writing, mainly thrillers for adults presently
- Fun Fact: He is an avid fisherman!
Meet Rodman Philbrick