Period 4: 1800-1848
Embargo Act of 1807
- Act issued by President Thomas Jefferson.
- Embargo Act was to forbade American ships from leaving U.S.
- Hurt National Economy
- Goal: Get France and Britain to respect the U.S.
- Webster–Ashburton Treaty was signed August 9, 1842
- The treaty resolved several border issues between the United States and the British North American colonies.
- Signed under John Tyler's presidency, it resolved the Aroostook War, a nonviolent dispute over the location of the Maine–New Brunswick border.
Corrupt Bargain -1825
- The 1824 election ended without either candidate gaining majority in the electoral college.
- Clay sided with JQ Adams and all Clay's followers sided with JQ Adams also.
- Led To Quincy Adams becoming president.