Dragon Roar: 5.10. 2020
Daring Greatly in Faith, Academics & Service since 1960
Happy Mother's Day and School Spirit Week!
I hope you are sharing and feeling the love today on Mother's Day! We are grateful for all of our mothers out there in our SMCS community and the people that hold a motherly role in each of our hearts. Thank you for all you do to help us shine!
Today's Gospel: John 14:1–12, Fifth Sunday of Easter
Jesus tells his disciples, “I am the way and the truth and the life.”
Family Connection: Members of the same family often look alike or even share the same behaviors. Today’s Gospel points to a mystery of faith that might be examined in light of these familial relationships. In Jesus, we see and know the Father. Likewise, the Father is known through the life and work of the Son, Jesus.
Talk together as a family about whether people outside of your family recognize common traits of your family. Are there physical resemblances that people recognize? Are there mannerisms that are shared? What are some common interests that people might associate with your family?
As you read today's Gospel, What does Jesus tell his disciples about his relationship with the Father? The relationship between the Father and Jesus is so close that Jesus says that those who have seen and known Jesus have also seen and known the Father. Jesus promises his disciples that because of their faith in him and in the Father, they too will be able to do the work of the Father as Jesus did. How will other's recognize in your family the work of the Father?
Ms. Salazar and the SMCS Team
The Best for LAST: Archbishop Gustavo FLIES over St. Monica Parish!!!
Monday, May 11th, 3:45pm
501 North Street
Announced on KSAT today!! Archbishop Gustavo final stop in his city-wide blessing flyover will be St. Monica Parish. Feel free to park in our church lot, social distance properly, and wave hello for his blessing!!
What a wonderful way to kick off our SPIRIT WEEK!!!
SCHOOL SPIRIT WEEK!!!
60 years of St. Monica, 60's Tie Dye Tutorial
School Spirit Week!! Roll Call on Zoom at 12PM
Monday, May 11th, 12pm to Friday, May 15th, 12pm
Zoom 12PM PRAYER each day! , 362-174-5604
Join us each day at 12PM for noon prayer and to show off your pride.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 362 174 5604
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
The Archdiocese of San Antonio wants YOUR Opinion on SMCS by Tuesday at 8PM
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Thank you for your partnership during this unprecedented time, our strong community has always been part of what makes us Catholic! We know this time has presented challenges new to each of us and we're grateful for the hard work and dedication from our administrators and teachers, as well as students and their families.
We have been working closely with our principals and teachers and have heard some amazing things about how our community has come together. We would love to hear directly from our parents. Please share your experience by completing the survey here:
Please know of our continued prayers for your families.
Marti West | Superintendent of Catholic Schools, San Antonio
UPDATES THIS WEEK
- Progress Reports went out on Friday via email. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive it.
- PreK, please ignore any document that came to you--PreK receives reports in Jan and June. Anything you received will be blank.
- All grades from March 23 to May 1 are for PARTICIPATION. If your student turned in their work, they will receive credit.
- The second half of Q4 will go from May 4 to May 29.
2020-2021 FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE:
- Apply!! The sooner the better. First round awards have been released. Second round closes in June but it's better to apply NOW.
- Even if you do not receive Arch HFF Funds or enough to support your needs, SMCS will use your data from the form to support you as resources allow.
- For ALL families that RECEIVE HFF funds, we will reimburse the $35 application fee.
- Open for Kinder to HS, however, if you are going into PreK, still complete as we will use the form for your financial assistance. You will be rejected by HFF AND we will use your app information for internal support as resources allow.
MAY FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE:
- We are STILL here to help as resources allow! Thanks to the incredible generosity of our community AND potential PPP loan (application in processing---pray for us!), we can support on a family by family basis.
- Has your financial status changed? Do you need support? Please email email@example.com or call my remote learning financial assistance line at 210-650-2031 from 10AM to 5:30PM, Mon to Fri. We are here to help! If I miss you I will return calls in one business day.
Thank you for your patience. Please email if you are waiting on a callback, we want to make sure we do not miss you!!
2019-2020 Teacher of the Year: Ms. Allison Mechtel!!!
Wow, Thank YOU for the Teacher Appreciation Week LOVE
Your spirit and love was on FIRE last week in appreciation for our teachers. From our Parent committee making some AMAZING "Zoom University" t-shirts and goodie bags, to our students videos, pictures and words of gratitude to seeing 80+ of you come out for our Zoom Wednesday lunch. Wow. THANK YOU. Here's just a sneak peak of gratitude from our teachers, more to come!!
2020-2021 Tuition Assistance from Hope for the Future
1) Complete OR relog on to your 2020-2021 FACTS Application at https://online.factsmgt.com/aid if you had already filled one out, you can just log back in!
- You will have to pay $35 fee to FACTS (the Arch/HFF/we do not get this).
- I will reimburse ALL families that get charged $35 to fill this out for COVID related assistance on your May tuition.
2) You will need:
- 2018 OR 2019 tax documents along with their most recent W-2
- You may take pictures of their tax docs with their phone and upload those pictures directly into their FACTS application.
3) Should you need assistance editing their application you can contact the FACTS parent line at 1-866-412-4637.
4) The deadline for the 2020-2021 school year extended until June.
Please complete ASAP.
ARE YOU A PREK FAMILY NEEDING ASSISTANCE? Please email me directly, firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!
Events this Week
Please review EACH week as times are subject to change.
Spirit Week Wednesday Zoom Lunch: Lessons from a Harvard/Stanford Biochemist in Studying DNA!
Wednesday, May 13th, 12pm
Friday School Wide Zoom and Children's Mass
Friday, May 15th, 8:45-10am
Zoom, 362 -174- 5604
Weekly winner of family survey completion announced!
Join us if your schedule allows.
Children's Mass to Follow at 9AM.
REMOTE LEARNING HEADQUARTERS
3rd Grade Selfie Heredity Project
Learn MORE about Today's Gospel
Counselor's Corner: Note from Mrs. Moncrief, Class Code: 72fdwe3
Join Mrs. Moncrief for guidance lessons and check ins!
We have three ways to connect:
1. Email: I will do my very best and reply by the next day. If there is an emergency, contact Ms.
Salazar and she can get hold of me.
2. Zoom: Every day from 2:00 – 5:00 pm, Meeting ID: 865-730-234
3. Padlets: digital bulletin board. I add new things every week. Just browse and click on the
tiles. Hopefully, some things will be helpful.
Padlet for Parents, Password: Parent
Padlet for Students, Password: Student
Looking forward to supporting you!