Sussex Avenue News That You Can Use
End of Year Thoughts
As I sit here writing this final Principal's Corner for the 2020-2021 school year, it makes me realize how quickly the school year has gone. While it was not a complete full year in the traditional sense, it was a year full of new beginnings, learning in new ways, and history making!
Although we did not complete our school year as we had planned, these past few months will be one that your children will talk about in the future and your grandchildren will learn about in school as a historic event. They will read about the terms that we heard daily on the TV – COVID 19, Coronavirus, pandemic, social distance, flatten the curve, quarantine, and remote learning. In a world that appears to be oversaturated with gadgets, devices, screens and social media, this crisis has magnified the need for human connection. Hopefully we will look back at this event with a new understanding and appreciation for things we often take for granted such as a hug, handshake, relationships, and family.
Please join me in wishing Ms. Amsallen a wonderful retirement. To say that it was well earned is an understatement. We send her off into retirement with all our best wishes and sincere appreciation for what she has taught each of us.
In closing, I would like to wish each of you a safe and relaxing summer. Take the opportunity to rejuvenate yourselves, spend time with family and friends, adhering to any guidelines still in effect, and making a lot of memories!
Drop Off Pick Up Logistics
- You must enter through the parking lot, staying to your right.
- You must stop at each drop off point regardless of whether you have the item to maintain the flow of traffic. Once the individual is finished you will pull forward to the next drop off point.
- You will be instructed to exit your vehicle and place the items on the table, wipe them down with the disinfectant provided, label chromebook with corresponding charger with your child's first and last name if it is not already labeled. Place in the corresponding bins.
- If your child was issued a Mifi (Kajeet-in blue pouch), this wifi device should be returned at this time as well and follow the same procedures as stated in #3.
- You will then return to your vehicle and proceed to the next drop off point.
- This is going to take time and patience. There will be no skipping drop off points.
- Masks are required.
Please see the diagram below so you are aware of the pattern flow.
Thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation.
Return of District Owned Chromebooks and Library/Classroom Books
Thursday, June 18 9am-12pm
Friday, June 19 9am-12pm
Monday, June 22 3pm-6pm
If the District issued Chromebook and/or Mifi device is not returned by June 22, 2020 your child will incur a fee of $225.00.
District Issued Chromebooks:
If your child was issued a District Chromebook, the Chromebook and charger must be returned at this time.
If your child is enrolled in ESY they may keep their chromebook and return it in September.
Please also return any library or school owned books on these dates. Please wipe books with disinfectant.
Elefante Music (908) 464-5928
1.) Call them directly to set up return authorization.
2.) On June 22nd from 8-11 Elefante will be in the parking lot of Morristown High School for a curbside pickup
3.) If you are renting again in September Elefante will let you keep the instrument over the summer but you must call them directly to set that up.
4.) Drop the instrument off to Elefante Music in New Providence
NEMC Music 800-526-4593
1.) Call them directly to set up return authorization.
2.) NEMC is offering a prepaid UPS Shipping label
3.) If you are renting again in September NEMC will let you keep the instrument over the summer but you must call them directly to set that up.
4.) Drop the instrument off to NEMC Music in Piscataway
If you borrowed an instrument from the school:
4th graders can hang on to them over the summer so they have them again in September
5th Graders must return instruments to Sussex.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact us.
Ms. Carroll (Orchestra Teacher)- Deborah.Carroll@msdk12.net
Mr. Marullo (Band Teacher)- Brad.Marullo@msdk12.net
Students Personal Items
- Student personal items that are in student desks and lockers will be bagged and available to parents/student who want to pick up their personal items on the dates listed above.
- All items not picked up will NOT be kept/stored and will be thrown away at end of day 6/22.
- Student work that is displayed on bulletin boards and artwork will not be returned at this time. These will be available and sent home when school reopens.
Sussex June Spirit Week
Virtual Art Show!
June 15th - June 22nd
This schedule is to help keep students organized on which Specials activities to complete. However, students will be able to access Specials activities throughout the week. The letter day will be shared by your child's homeroom teacher each day.
Parents please remind your child to make sure they are completing the activities in the Special Area classrooms as well each week. Your special area teachers are also working very hard to provide your child with content from these specialized areas as well. We appreciate your assistance.
Monday, June 15th is an A day.
Attention: Parents of 5th Graders
If you are in need of assistance outside of school hours
Click here for Morristown Emergency Resources during the COVID Pandemic - Health, Housing, and Food
If you need immediate assistance:
2nd Floor Helpline: Call or text 888-222-2228
National Suicide Prevention Helpline: Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
24/7 to be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center
Performcare- Mobile Response Services: 1-877-652-7624
Crisis Hotline Serving Morris County: 888-247-1400
Of course, if this is an emergency call 9-1-1.