SPS Board Highlights
April 6, 2020
Central Office Reports
- SPS delivered about 19,000 meals in its first week of food delivery routes, and an additional 16,000 meals last week. Dr. Grace said rain prevented some people from picking up meals one day last week, but she anticipates even more meal deliveries this week.
- The last day of the Continuous Distance Learning Plan and the academic year will be May 15.
- SPS is working on ways to honor the Senior Class of 2020. A virtual graduation ceremony will be held May 18th. Dr. Grace said she is working with ShawneeCTV and Senior Class Sponsor Cathy Megee to organize the virtual ceremony. An in-person graduation ceremony is scheduled for July 17 at 7 p.m. at Firelake Arena. SPS is using social media posts to recognize the Seniors, too.
- The grade-level continuous learning plan calendars have been released online and on meal routes. Local businesses Walmart and Homeland (on Independence) have some print calendars available for pick up for those who cannot access the calendars online. The printed calendars are also available for pick up at SPS school sites by appointment.
Board member Mark Betterton expressed concern that people may forget to complete the 2020 Census due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and he reminded everyone how important completing the Census is for school funding. Dr. Grace said the district is sending out reminders on social media and in meal packets about completing the Census, and she appreciated Mr. Betterton's reminder about how important the Census is. She shared the website for the Census, 2020census.gov.
Board President Larry Walker described a drive-up prayer time at the Shawnee High School parking lot on Sunday evening, and said he saw between 50-100 cars there. He also expressed his appreciation for Dr. Grace for her leadership during the COVID-19 crisis. Dr. Grace thanked everyone in the district for their hard work in providing learning support and meals for students.
- All consent docket items were approved.
- The Board approved the Procurement Plan for Child Nutrition Programs.
- The Board did not go into Executive Session. All personnel were approved for employment as presented.