May 14th - May 18th
Monday, May 14th
- Community Service Committee collecting H20 bottles, sunscreen and bug spray all week (see section below for more details).
Wednesday, May 16th
- 4th graders leave for Outdoor Education
- D39 Education Foundation, MEC, 7-9 pm
Friday, May 18th
- 2nd grade Bike Safety Training, 8:45-10:15 am
- 4th graders return from Outdoor Education
- Last day to order school supplies from Edukit
Monday, May 21st
- D39 Board of Education Meeting, MEC, 7-9pm
- Dr. Kick's May Birthday lunch
Thursday, May 24th
- Harper Fun Fair, 3:15-4:15pm
Monday, May 28th
- No School--Memorial Day
Wednesday, June 6th
- 4th Grade Farewell Lunch
Friday, June 8th
- Field Day for 3rd and 4th Graders, 10:15-2:15 pm
Thursday, June 14
- Last Day of Attendance for Kindergarteners
Friday, June 15
- Last Day of School, 11:55 am dismissal
- 4th Grade Farewell Party, 3-5 pm
Dr. Kick's Corner
- Thank you to all of the PTO Executive Board, committee members and volunteers! We truly appreciate everything you do on behalf of students and staff.
- Make sure to watch the 5/21 BOE meeting to hear the results of the Kindergarten Enrichment Survey
- Lost and found items will be donated to a charity at the end of the school year. Please make sure to have your child check for missing items!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR BUS REGISTRATION NEXT YEAR
Dear District 39 Families,
This is a reminder that BUS REGISTRATION is open for next year, and must be completed by July 13th for your student to ride the bus on the first day of school. This cutoff allow us to develop the most efficient routes. Late registrations will be subject to a fee - $50 for a one-way and $100 for round trip. Students registering late will only be placed on existing routes and stops when space is available and may not begin to ride the bus until September 17th. Late registrations will be processed in the order they are received. If the bus routes cannot accommodate your child, you will either be placed on a wait list or receive a refund.
The EXPRESS BUS will be back! The express bus provides a direct route between: Central - Highcrest, Central - WJHS, McKenzie - HMS, and McKenzie - WJHS. This allows for the shortest possible ride to school, reduced congestion on the neighborhood streets, and more friends at the bus stop. After you have paid your transportation fee, you can place your child on an EXPRESS BUS route.
If you purchase AM transportation for HMS and/or WJHS, and your child participates in the instrumental music program, you will be able to ride the EARLY MORNING MUSIC BUS. The bus will pick up both HMS and WJHS students on the route and bring all students to WJHS at 7:20. WJHS music students will start their music lessons, and HMS music students will board the HMS Music Shuttle, which will leave WJHS at 7:30 to take them to HMS. WJHS students who have purchased AM transportation, and are participating in one of the music programs will be assigned a bus stop. Parents of HMS students should contact me to be placed on a route after the auditions.
If you think you may have already handled bus registration, please check your REVTRAK account; sign in and click on MY ACCOUNT for your order history.
All of this information can be found on the BUS REGISTRATION PAGE on the District website under the “For Parents” tab.
Wilmette Public School District 39
- Attention 4th Grade Parents! The 4th Grade Farewell Lunch is coming up on Wednesday, June 6th during normal lunch hours and the 4th Grade Farewell Party is on Friday, June 15th from 3:00-5:00. Be part of the festivities and sign up here. For questions / concerns please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yearbooks will be handed out soon! Not sure if you ordered? Go to jostensyearbooks.com. Sign in. Select ORDERS to view history OR call Josten's at 877-767-5217. Please email Debbie Melchiorre at email@example.com with questions.
- Attention 2nd Grade Parents! On Friday, May 18th your child will be participating in the annual Bike Safety Training between 8:45- 10:15am. A representative from ATA and Wilmette Police officers will demonstrate proper helmet fitting, bike locks and safety rules of the road. Additionally, the students will ride through an obstacle course set up on the school black top. If your child is not comfortable riding a bicycle on their own, it is perfectly fine for them to scooter or walk the course. Please contact Sam Wallace (firstname.lastname@example.org) with further questions.
- Harper Fun Fair will be Thursday, May 24 from 3:15-4:15pm on Harper North Field. There is no rain date. Adult supervision is required. Tickets can be purchased in advance starting Monday May 14. Sponsored by Harper Student Council and ticket donations will benefit local charities. We are looking for parent donations for small prizes to raffle off during Fun Fair. Some ideas include: stuffed animals, lego set, fidget cube, Rubix cube, Pokemon or sports trading cards, board games, or small gift cards for Homer’s or local restaurants. If you would like to donate a prize, please send to Harper, c/o Rachel Mor by Friday, May 11. Contact Rachel Mor (email@example.com) or Kate Cummings (firstname.lastname@example.org) for questions.
- It’s time to order your school supplies for next year! Online ordering is underway and will end on next Friday, May 18th. Don't miss out, order your school supplies for the 2017/2018 school year by visiting www.edukitinc.com and typing in Harper to begin your order. Once your order is complete you will receive a confirmation email and your student’s kit will be waiting for them in their classroom on the first day of school. To order for another District 39 school, simply go to www.edukitinc.com and enter the school name to find the supplies for that school. A portion of the sales from each school kit will be donated to the Harper PTO. Questions? Contact Sara O'Hare at email@example.com.
- Attention former students of Miss Kathy Hofschield (and parents of students). Kathy is retiring at the end of this year. She has been teaching Kindergarten & 1st grade in D39 since 1991. Please consider writing a letter wishing her well with your memories of her and how she has impacted your life. Email letters to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop off at the Harper School front desk by May 15th.
- Interested in Destination Imagination (DI)? Destination Imagination (DI) is a team-based creative problem-solving competition for kids grades K-12. Teams work on Science, Fine Arts, Technology, Engineering, Improv, or Community Service. D39 is hosting a DI information session on Monday May 21st from 7-8pm at McKenzie Elementary in the auditorium. All D39 parents are welcome to attend. Questions? Email email@example.com
The Community Service Committee will be collecting reusable water bottles (think extra giveaway bottles; gently used & clean) and new bottles of sunscreen and bug spray. If students reach the goal of 100 bottles of sunscreen & bug spray PLUS 100 reusable water bottles, all Harper students will receive one extra ticket for the Fun Fair on May 24th.
(Look for the thermometer measuring donations at drop off and pick up next week!)
- 5/29--Sky Dome program for 3rd Grade
- 6/6--2nd Grade visits Adler Planetarium
Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
Link to Community News:
Wilmette Wings Soccer Tryouts for boys and girls Kindergarten through high school. May 3rd-26th.
Wilmette Junior Trevians are hosting a week long cheer camp for all 2018-2019 5th-8th grade boys & girls July 16-20.
The Junior Trevians Football Organization is hosting Jr. Trevian K-3 grade Flag Football Tournament on June 2nd & 3rd. Each elementary school enters three teams of 10-12 players: K/1st, 2nd & 3rd grade teams. Also need 1-2 parent volunteers from each school. Email Melissa Mastros at firstname.lastname@example.org
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org