Thornhill PFC News Update
Calling All Volunteers
Dear Thornhill families,
Ever wondered what the Thornhill Parent Faculty Club does? Thought about volunteering, but haven't figured out how to fit it into your busy schedule? Our PFC is looking for volunteers for the new school year, and there are lots of ways you can pitch in.
Please consider joining the PFC Board for the 2017-18 school year. All parents are welcome – there is need in small and big ways. Please check our website for the roles and responsibilities of board members along with descriptions of the different board positions. For specific open board positions see the chart in the school lobby, and/or stop by the recruitment table during Open House on Wednesday night.
Here are two examples of open board positions:
Enrichment Chair (could be shared position)
- Manages before-and-after school enrichment programs
- Sets enrichment goals and works with the President, Principal, PFC VPs and teacher representatives to ensure highest quality instruction
- Coordinates contract issues, including the hiring of contract workers and final contracts
- Coordinates use of school facility by various entities
- Coordinates and communicates with the After School Coordinator (PFC hired staff to oversee the safety and security of the enrichment program classes)
- Promotes classes in the newsletter and provides forms to webmaster for each term
- Coordinates and communicates with instructors and parents on adjustments to scheduled based on minimum days, parent-teacher conferences, and holidays
- Evaluates and monitors before-and-after-school enrichment programs
- Coordinates with the Drama and Visual Arts Chairs as needed
- Requires about 20 hours at start of school year, 2-4 hours per week after that
- One-year position
- Member-at-large should be new to the Board and represent by grade group (one Kindergarten through 2nd grade, the other 3rd through 5th grade, and have at least one child in that grade group)
- Coordinate the Middle School Fair
- Members-at-large may help lead special projects or represent the PFC at Montclair Village, OUSD, or other community meetings, reporting back to the Board
- Requires 1-2 hours per month
We hope you will consider joining the PFC board for 2017-18. It is a great way to meet new people and share your talents with our terrific school. Questions? Contact PFC co-presidents, Shauna Fithian and Shanyn Lloyd-Gibson at firstname.lastname@example.org.