Our Sunday School Class
Where we love the sinner, hate the sin, and seek His kingdom
Prayer Requests June 16, 2013
- Tammy- Williams family service today; traveling next week
- Emily- 4 of us traveling to Florida on Thursday for stepfather's birthday, sister is traveling from Texas, Erica is driving herself. Pray for safety.
- Ed- selling the RH house, Haiti trip June 22-28, Mssions Conference 9/25
- Melissa- anniversary today, Brian Chace
- Keith Williams- traveling to Juarez, Mexico leaving Monday returning Thursday
- Sherri- take Victoria to Chicago next week to stay for five weeks
His Hands and Feet
May 23 ~ Kim and Tammy
May 30 ~ Carman and Pam
June 6 ~ Lisa B. and Emily
June 13 ~ Carman and Kim
June 20 ~ Janet (Please contact Janet if you can help her.)
Summer Ministry Opportunities
- June/July (date TBD) provide Brian and Xan a romantic evening dinner cruise for their anniversary
- June 21 ~ Providing Gatorade, ice, water, fruit, and popsicles for World Changers
- date TBD - help Anne and Scott with her mother's move
- June 29 ~ well filter change (Ed has details)
- June 29 ~ tub faucet changed (Ed has details)
- June 29 ~ meet at 9:30 at James' house to help with railings (?)
Notes From Today's Lesson (my version...feel free to disagree or correct me)
LESSON - 1 Timothy 4:11
Lesson is specifically dressed to leaders/pastors
God ties us a job to do (like David working in the field with the sheep) and we should do it. Paul tells Timothy not to let the doubts of others deter him from his duties. Not to let others' ideas about his youth deter him.
Melissa- note in her Bible- until I come, grow.
The word progress here means the same thing as ...the scouting party goes ahead of the army to determine the best way to go, to clear the path, etc. this is what the church leaders should do...clear the way for others.
Psalm 23. People would have been real familiar with the needs of sheep.
2 Timothy 4
Again, written for pastors, but applicable to all of us as Christians. Each Christian is a leader in his/her sphere of influence.
Life is hard sometimes, but continue to be faithful in what God has called you to do. You are paving the way for someone else.
Next Week's Lesson (Let Doug know what you think of the new information.)
Summary and Goal
The apostles Peter and John wrote letters to Christians who were battling persecution from outside the church and heresy from inside the church. These letters prepared Christians by informing them of the inevitability, purpose, and hope of trials. We can take heart in knowing that despite our earthly trials, temptations, and ongoing struggles with sin, Christ has promised to perfect the work He has begun in us.
Steps to Prepare
Read the letters of 1–2 Peter and 1–3 John, and focus on the main passages for this week’s study:
1 Peter 1:3-9
2 Peter 3:8-13
1 John 2:15-19
1. God is glorified in the perseverance of His people through times of trial (1 Pet. 1:3-9).
2. God’s people persevere in light of the promised new heavens and new earth (2 Pet. 3:8-13).
3. God’s people demonstrate their perseverance by their actions (1 John 2:15-19).
Calendar of Events
- June 20 (THursday) We are providing drinks (NOT carbonated), ice, fruit, and cookies or popsicles for World Changers. 150 Johnston St. City Building
- June 21-22 Wildfire Men's Impact weekend with Jase and Willie Robertson of Duck Dynasty and Tim Tebow. See Tammy at firstname.lastname@example.org for details/registrationJune 30~Annual CELEBRATION OF FREEDOM 9:00 and 10:45
- June/July (TBD) Chace anniversary sunset dinner
- June 29- well filter change, tub faucet change, meet at 9:30 at James' to help with railings
- Dec. 14 Soup Kitchen