A WORD TO THE WISE...
Words cannot express the sorrow and pain we have felt this week as a staff as we mourn the loss of a dear loved staff member. As I received the news on Tuesday, my immediate thought was of each and every one of you. You are special to me, more than you will ever know. Nothing prepares you to stand before a group of loved ones and share such news. As I've slowly and methodically trudged through this week, at times wondering if Friday would ever come, I've reflected a lot on life. I've pondered what to say to each and every person I've had to talk to, what are the right words, how can I change it or make it easier. The bottom line is, I have no words and I can't soften the blow. But I saw this quote on Keith's wall and thought, that just sums it all up. So I want to share it with you.
"When you enter this classroom: (school)
You are scientists.
You are explorers.
YOU ARE IMPORTANT!
You are LOVED
You are respected
YOU ARE A FRIEND
You are the reason I am here! - Mr. Wardrup
YOU, MY FRIENDS, ARE THE REASON I AM HERE! - LOVE TO YOU ALL!
Please take time to refresh this weekend! We all need some down time to process and move forward as best we can. Remember we are here for each of you as you need.
*STAFF DEVELOPMENT MONDAY - We will have a guest speaker with us on Monday, February 18. The specific schedule will be coming but half the day will be with the speaker and half the day will be dedicated to TELPAS testing.
* SOURCE COMMITTEE - Will be meeting on Wednesday. We will review the results from observation forms (if it's your turn) and the survey below.
* BEHAVIOR - We are all noticing that unacceptable behaviors are on the rise. Please take a few moments daily to remind students of expectations. Remember, we've talked before that losing a few minutes of instruction to reinforce expectations causes us to have extra time on the end because we are not constantly dealing with behavior issues. If you need help, please do not hesitate to contact the front office and ask for someone to come. If Kara and I are both tied up, someone will come and we will handle the situation as soon as we are free. Statistics show that complimenting students on their good behavior reduces the amount of misbehaviors overall.
* BOARD MEETING - Oak Ridge Feeder is being spotlighted at the Board Meeting on Tuesday night. The garden will be the ORE focus. If you want to attend and support our feeder zone, please feel free to do so.
*CHOCOLATE SALES KICK-OFF - PTO is launching it's spring fundraiser on Thursday. The kick-off will take about 20 minutes. The schedule will be 8:30 - 8:50 - PK, K, 1 and Murdaugh, Schrynemeeckers, Johnson and Esparza. ; 9:00 - 9:20 - Fuller, Wolff, Soniat, 3rd and 4th grades..
* GO TEXAN DAY FRIDAY - Dust off those boots and cowboy/girl duds. Friday is Go Texan Day! PTO will be providing lunch for us that day. They are having a food truck come. Specific directions for that will follow.
* CLASS VISITS - Kara and I are going make it our goal for the rest of the year to be out and about throughout the day visiting classrooms. It was recommended during team leader that we hand out Treasure Tower tokens to one or two students in each class that are doing a good job. Please allow those students to come to the office at some point after they are given the token. If this becomes too disruptive or causes other children to "meltdown," please make us aware of that and we will leave the tokens on your desk and you can hand them out later.
*BOARD FIELD TRIP - The school board, accompanied by Dr. Null, will be here on Wednesday, February 27. Please make sure your outside bulletin board is up to date and things are clean.
* BIGGEST LOSER GROUP - Don't forget to weigh in on Monday!
* TELPAS - Begin collecting sample #2 & 3 this week. Topics are math and personal narrative. Remember to turn them in weekly to the file folder in the bookroom.
*TUTORIALS - If you are not participating but are willing to sub for those teachers who are, please let Rachel Miller know.
SEEDS FOR GROWTH:
Fourth grade teachers - For your love and support for your students and keeping things are "normal" as possible on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Rachel Miller - Jumping in and teaching math without missing a beat.
Goals for 18-19
2. Starting in January, teachers will focus on aligning two anchor stations with current learning in the classroom.
3. By the end of the school year, reading and writing teachers will be trained in the conferring process and create their own documentation of conferences.
18 - Staff Development Day - student holiday
19 - Board Meeting recognizing OR feeder zone
20 - Math coach visits planning sessions
21 - Chocolate Sales Kick Off
22 - Go Texan Day
22 - PTO Luncheon
22 - Poster Method
22 - Susan Hoffman's birthday
22- March 8 - Chocolate Sales
25 - Faculty Meeting
26 - Tami out to Principals' Meeting
27 - Board Field trip to ORE
27 - Lisa McGarrah training for Mimeo
28 - Bilingual coach visit/Felix Rodriguez's birthday