Teacher Created Materials
Starting Interventions effectively
Opportunities to Read
Direct and Sequential Instruction
Reading should be an active process, and good readers are very active when they read, they engage in active thinking strategies throughout the reading process in order to gain comprehension.
How it works.....
- Explicit instruction of comprehension strategies
- Guidance in support of metacognition, or thinking aloud
- Gradual release
- The teacher always begins in a very explicit, direct way how to use a particular skill
- The teacher models how to use the skill to show students what active readers do when they comprehend
The Reading/Writing Connection
Standards-based writing activities promote the reading and writing connection to increase overall comprehension.
After reading students can "dig into" the text to analyze...
- How the author wrote a particular piece
- To identify structural patterns
- How transition words are used
- By thinking about the process the writer has used
- Students gain knowledge