South Spartan News
Est. 1932 The Spartan tradition continues…
We provide diverse and meaningful experiences for all learners in a safe and supportive environment by fostering curiosity, inquiry, and innovation. We grow and learn together by embracing change and taking risks.
Every Learner, Every Day
We imagine a school in which ALL learners find joy in coming to school every day in a caring and personalized learning environment embedded with critical thinking, communication, citizenship, and empathy.
Hello South spartan families and students,
This brief update is brought to you by the Spartan Media Crew. In this month’s newsletter, we will be covering the spring sports happening this month, spring break, parent teacher conferences, the polar plunge, end of quarter three, and the south musical, Newsies Junior!
- The first thing we are talking about is the new sports happening this month. This March, girls soccer and co-ed track is starting. You can ask for more information in the front office, or check the south website later this month for sign ups!
- Spring break is the 13th of March through the 17th of March. Enjoy a long break from school to relax and have fun.
- The Polar Plunge is happening!! Student council members are looking for donations to help support special Olympics North Dakota, if any of our student council members raise over $100 dollars they can participate in the polar plunge! Join us at choice to watch on March 4.
- Parent teacher conferences are this week March the 2nd and next week March the 7th. Make sure to get signed up and check in with your child's primetime teacher- Click the link here or below to sign up! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eUmg6wSB3MSdMKk9G_pLblVPrmARaTsjaJ7NyevBIrE/edit?usp=sharing
- The end of quarter three is on March 24th. If you are a student make sure that all of your work is turned in. If you're a parent or guardian please help to remind your south spartan students to have all of their work completed by that date!
- This March we have a South Middle School musical. Newsies Junior! Come support your fellow spartan performers on March 30th and 31st at 7:00 pm in the South Middle School cafetorium. The students have been working very hard on the musical since February 13th! The show will be great!
Thank you from the Spartan Media Crew, Brooke Evans, Charlee Krefting, Mattea Green, Sasha Poltavski, Easton Weisser and Rilkin Bakabaka
South Middle School Updated Tardy Policy
Please see the letter below outlining the new tardy policy taking effect on October 31, 2022. Also, please note that the automated attendance notification email will now go out daily at 10:00am.
Parent Teacher Conferences
South Middle School
March 2, 2023: 4pm - 7pm
March 7, 2023: 4pm - 7pm
Please select your student’s team from the list below.
Find your student’s Prime Time teacher to sign up for a conference
You will only sign up for ONE conference per student
This will be an in-person conference. If you would prefer a phone conference or video conference, please contact that teacher using the email address provided.
If you would like to speak with a specific teacher in addition to the prime time conference, please contact that teacher using the email address provided.
Please come into the building and meet your teacher in the designated room on the date and time you have selected.
Traveling Teacher Schedule and Locations
We have part time teachers that don’t have a Prime Time and would be available on the following days and times. No appointment would need to be made with these teachers.
Ms. McFarlane - Orchestra - Office #601
Ms. Bolstad - Foreign Languages / ND Studies - Tuesday - Gym
Ms. VanLooy - Foreign Languages / Critical Thinking - Gym
Ms. Gregorie - Art - Tuesday (March 7th) - Gym
AFFORDABLE CONNECTIVITY PROGRAM
DAY 1/ DAY 2 Schedule
Spartan Salute 👏👏👏
Our Math Track Meet teams competed at UND at the end of February. They swept the awards in all 7th/8th grade categories and did an awesome job!
1st Place team: Jasmine Hardersen, Kateyn Hur, Zishan Rahman, and Caleb Zerr.
2nd Place team: Isaac Hong, Austin Hardersen, Reagan Hodny, and Taylor Hodny
Top Individual Scorer for all of 7th/8th grade: Isaac Hong
7th grade top individual scorers:
Reagan Hodny (1st)
Taylor Hodny (2nd)
Caleb Zerr (3rd)
8th grade top individual scorers:
Jasmine Hardersen (1st)
Katelyn Hur (2nd)
Sonakshi Singhal (3rd)
High School Summer School
The Grand Forks Public Schools high school summer school registration form is now open! The high school summer school registration form can be located at https://bit.ly/SSHSReg23
If your student has any questions or needs assistance with registering for high school summer school, please have them speak with their school counselor.
6th Grade Basketball
Intramural Basketball will begin for 6th graders on Monday, February 27th. Practice will be Monday thru Thursday from 3:30-4:30 in the South Middle School Gym.
Fill out the form below and watch your email and our website for more information regarding practice times. Cost is $12.50.
Sign Up Link: https://forms.gle/ZSMbNkFDctMK9zf3A
Here is the link to pay: https://www.myschoolbucks.com/ver2/getmain.action
A Note From the Nurse's Office
Tips for Being a Good Listener
As a parent/guardian, sometimes you may feel as though your child does not listen to you. It is important that you communicate your needs and feelings to your child in an effective way. A simple suggestion to improve communication between you and your child is to use “I” messages rather than “You” messages (which often create an oppositional situation). For example, instead of
saying, “You always leave your dirty dishes on the table. Can’t you pick up after yourself?” say, “When you leave your dishes on the table, I get frustrated because it makes extra work for me when I get home and I’m trying to make dinner.” Visit www.parentslead.org for more information.
Newsies Jr. The Musical!
South is excited to present Newsies, Jr. on March 30 and 31 at 7:00 p.m. Admission price, at the door, is $5 for adults and $3 for students.
“Newsies Jr.” is a musical inspired by the true story of newsboys in turn-of-the-century New York City. When powerful newspaper publishers raise prices at the newsboys’ expense, the charismatic Jack Kelly rallies newsies from across the city to strike against the unfair conditions. Together, the newsies learn that they are stronger united and create a movement to fight for what’s right.
“Newsies Jr.” is a 60-minute version of the 2012 Broadway musical, based on the 1992 film.
This musical accommodates a large cast and tech crew. The creativity and teamwork the students are putting into the show will be amazing to see. Come join us!
A note from Mrs. Keller!
Cost will be $25
Personalization and Icons are available through ONLINE SALES ONLY at
- Personalization & Icons end February 15, 2023.
NOTE: South has a limited number of 2021-22 Yearbooks left. If you are interested in purchasing one of the remaining books, you may do so at registration. The cost is $10.