"Vietnam War at Home" WebQuest
LSHS US History - Feb 2014
I. Politics Surrounding the Vietnam War
- Read this article about the draft.
- Click on "Browse Stories" and choose one story from the list to read written by someone drafted to serve in the military.
- Click on "Lottery Facts" and read the short article.
- Click on "Top 10" to see a list of individuals who avoided the draft and how they "dodged" the draft.
**Alternative readings (if link above doesn't work):
- View the 26th Amendment below. (click here to read the text of the amendment)
II. Media Influence on the Vietnam War
Role of the Media:
- Read this newspaper article over the changing role of the media during the Vietnam War.
- Read the subsection entitled 'The Media Lost the War for America" of this article.
- View this student-prepared Prezi over the Credibility Gap.
(Don't worry, we've checked it for accuracy!)
III. The Public's Reaction to the Vietnam War
- Read paragraphs 1 and 4 of this article on student protests.
- Watch the video (embedded below) over the Kent State Protests in 1970.
- Read the anti-war movement article here. (If you are accessing this off campus, you'll need to log in using your FISD Google apps account.)
IV. The Vietnam War in the Courtroom
Tinker v. Des Moines
New York Times v. United States
Are you a Dove or a Hawk?
Based on what you have learned about the Vietnam War you must now decide if you would have been a Hawk, supporting the war, or a dove, against the war. Fill in the decision tree on your handout and be ready to defend your argument in a class debate.