Ms. Kilar's Class News
Friday, October 14, 2016
- Reading - We read a tall tale, "Stormalong," and learned about understanding him as a character. We worked on using details and examples from the text to support our thoughts about Stormalong.
- Writing - This week we learned about personal narratives. We read a few examples of personal narratives and started brainstorming for writing our own personal narratives.
- Grammar - We worked on capitalizing proper nouns.
- Spelling - Homophones
Science- We were fortunate enough to have a presentation given by representatives from the Think Energy with Efficiency United and DTE Energy. The students learned about renewable and nonrenewable resources, different forms of energy, insulators, and conductors, and more. Your child is coming home with their Take Action Kit today. Please complete the Home Energy Worksheet and send it back to school by October 28. We can earn a grant of up to $100.00 for the classroom if we return these. This money can be used to offset the expenses of upcoming field trips.
We continued learning about structures that animals use for protection and support by, reading, note taking, working in groups to act out different animals and identify what structures are used for protection, support, or movement, and students wrote an essay about an animal of their choice describing its different structures and how they are used.
- Wednesday and Thursday, Oct. 26 and 27 - Parent Teacher Conferences
- Friday, Oct. 28 - Offield Nature Preserve field trip
- Monday, Oct. 31 - Halloween Parade and celebration after lunch
- Tuesday, Nov. 1 - No School - Teacher Inservice
- Monday - P.E.
- Tuesday - Music
- Wednesday - Art
- Thursday - P.E.
- Friday - Music