BCA November Newsletter
Juniors visit MTSU
Save the Date: BCA Information Night
Monday, Dec. 2nd, 6pm
Save the Date: Capstone Symposium
Thursday, Dec. 12th, 6:30pm
BCA Treat Day!
BCA Parent Organization Corner- next meeting Nov. 4!
The BCAPO is a parent organization that supports BCA students and teachers through donations, encouragement and scholarship. BCA parents are encouraged to be a part of this organization! We meet once a month. Join the BCAPO Remind by texting @bhsbcapo to the number 81010.
The next BCA parent organization meeting is this Monday, November 4th at 6:30p. We will meet in the BHS Media Center.
Thanks to all the parents who donated snacks & drinks for our Blaze Bash fundraiser and treats for our BCA teacher treat day! Also a big THANK YOU to the parents who volunteered at these events.
The BCA parent organization will be selling Buttermilk Sky mini pies for the holidays. Details will be given at the next meeting.
The next BCA night at Donatos is Tuesday, November 19 from 11a to 10p. When you place your order, tell them you are with the Blackman High BCA! Orders can be for dine-in, delivery or carry-out.
Governor's School applications NOW OPEN!
2020 GOVERNORS SCHOOLS
Tennessee provides summer programs for gifted and talented high school students that are rising juniors or seniors. The programs provide challenging and intensive experiences in various disciplines. Students will have the opportunity to stay on campus, earn college credit, explore fields of interest ranging from engineering to heritage studies, entrepreneurship and more. Governor's School also meets the requirement for Distinction.
Here is a list of the 2020 Governor's Schools with a link to the application. The location and date of each is listed also. Applications should be returned to Mrs. Gregory by November 22, in order to meet the following postmark deadlines: December 1, 2019 is the deadline for ALL BUT the Agricultural Sciences - it is December 13, 2019.
Applications are now available. Here is a link to the frequently asked questions page: https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/education/students/gov_sch/2020approved_gov_schools_faq.pdf
See Mrs. Gregory in the Spectrum Office for more information.
A Conversation with Speaker Series...
Ben Smithson- Tuesday, Nov 12 during Impact
Ben Smithson is a Blackman High Class of 2006 alumnus. He attended Tennessee Technological University College of Engineering and graduated in May 2010 with a BS degree in Manufacturing and Industrial Technology with minor in Business.
He is currently growing his own business, Smithson Speed and Engineering, focusing on building, restoring, and maintaining classic cars using skills such as project planning, vehicle design and engineering, metal fabrication, circuits and wiring, bodywork, and other mechanical aptitude and technical skills.
His previous work experience includes project management at Destaco, production engineer at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, process engineer at Nissan North America-Smyrna, process engineer at Walker Die Casting, Inc. and two summer internships at the Goodrich Corporation during the 2008 and 2009 seasons. He is developing a promising career in the manufacturing field.
He will be discussing his life at Blackman High, how it influenced his career, and what it takes to make it in his industry.
Here is an article from Motor Trend magazine.
Here is another article from Scottie TV: http://www.scottiedtv.com/1932-chevrolet-hot-rod-street-rod-nationals-south-plus-2014/
Here is a video of his car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--6sezVTsfU
November Heart Healthy Message
BCA Scholarship Opportunities
Class of 2019 BCA students will have the opportunity to apply for two scholarships:
- BHS will award one $500 scholarship to an outstanding BCA student.
- MTSU will award one $500 scholarship to an outstanding BCA student enrolling in MTSU.
Applications and deadlines to be announced.
MTSU Awarding Larger Scholarships for students with a 25 ACT score and 3.5 GPA
December 14, 2019
February 8, 2020
April 4, 2020
June 13, 2020
July 18, 2020
Register online at actstudent.org. The Blackman High School code is 431636.
Life Experience & Extra-Curricular Activities
Students must complete 40 hours of real-life experience in the area of his/her major. The experience must be approved by the faculty board. This experience can be completed any year but must be completed by April of the senior year. Click here for more information about life experience on the BCA website.
You can now report your extra-curricular hours online. Click here to find more information on extra-curricular hours and the link to report your hours. Fill out the form for each separate activity you complete and click submit. We will verify the hours each nine weeks with the club sponsor or coach.
- Freshmen: Honors English I, Honors Biology, and Honors World History or AP Human Geography (must be enrolled in at least 2)
- Sophomores: Honors English II, Honors Algebra II or Advanced Honors Geometry, and Honors Chemistry (must be enrolled in at least 2)
- Juniors: AP English III, AP U.S. History or Dual Enrollment U.S. History, and Speech or Critical Thinking (These are recommendations but not required. Speech and critical thinking are highly recommended junior year before capstone.)
- Seniors: Speech or Critical Thinking (if not already taken) and Capstone
Blackman Collegiate Academy Standards
Visit the BCA website for information on the following standards:
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Academic Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Behavior Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Extra Curricular Standards
- Blackman Collegiate Academy Events Attendance Standards
Do you have BCA questions? Here’s who to contact:
- Extra Curricular - Mr. Green: email@example.com
- Life-Experience - Mrs. Noffsinger: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Research - Mrs. Jones: email@example.com
- Speaker Series - Mr. Seadorf: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academics - Mrs. Waite email@example.com
- Communications - Mr. Reed
- Events/recognition - Mrs. Dabney: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Capstone - Mrs. Baumann - email@example.com
- Dual Enrollment - Mrs. Wilder- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Admissions- Ms. Bryan - email@example.com
- Parent Organization - Kristie Farrington - firstname.lastname@example.org
- General information - Mr. Reed: email@example.com