Newsletter Term 3 Week 5
Patumahoe School 24th of August 2022
Kia ora parents, caregivers, and extended whanau
Mid year achievement data is currently being reviewed by our staff and BOT. This information is critical for us to ascertain how well we are progressing towards our charter targets in reading, writing, and mathematics. It also provides validation of the effectiveness of any interventions we have put in place and or programmes we run. Often this data can be the catalyst for further changes and action in order to hit the marks we set at the beginning of the year.
Two things that I really want you to do as we make the final push to the end of the year is:
1. MAKE attendance IMPORTANT in your household. Attendance is something I want to really push, because although we have very good rates of attendance and are placed significantly higher than current national and regional benchmarks, I think we can do better. Attending regularly and getting 'days in the bank of learning' are absolutely vital. It is worth bearing in mind that attendance is not simply turning up to school, but it is also turning up READY for school. I overheard a parent gem after yesterday's cross country. The child took the opportunity to ask his mother- post race- if he could have a playdate at his friends house seeing that his buddy's mother was also at the cross country. The boy's mother knowing all to well that this playdate along with sore legs would mean a very tired boy, replied "No way, it's a school night". Well done mum, that's a gold sticker from Mr Tawhiti.
2. READING FOR 20 MINUTES EVERY DAY
It appears that daily reading at home is dropping off in patches across the school. Let's pick it up again. This daily reading could take the form of older siblings listening to the younger ones read aloud, or silent reading, or reading in the car on the ride home, or reading after breakfast. Just find a routine that works in your household and keep drilling your kids until they click into autopilot. Our teachers will be giving it a good push over the next few weeks, so please give us a hand. If you want to know why daily reading is so important, read the research insight below (please note that Year 6 is the NZ equivalent of the US 6th grade).
Kia pai to ra
PATUMAHOE SCHOOL BOARD OF TRUSTEE ELECTIONS
Voting papers were mailed out last week.
Please take the time to vote
- may be delivered to the school office by 4pm on 7th September 2022, there is a green voting box in the foyer to place them in.
- If posted, your vote must be received no later then 5 days after the date of the election. Try to post it as early as possible as NZ Post has reduced postal delivery days in most areas. Voting closes at 4pm on 7th September 2022.
Results will be announced on 13th September 2022.
CALF CLUB SPONSORSHIP APPRECIATION POST
Kids! You are going to love the raffles we have in store for you! Crafters/Sports Stars/Musicians and Dare Devils - something for everyone..
Mum and Dad, Aunties Uncles - the ones who love pampering, chainsawing, shopping, or simply kicking back watching telly. You won't want to miss out on the prizes on offer.
Remember, this is also going to Mr Tawhiti's last Calf Club - So we have a very special raffle that involves him to help say Goodbye in the fun and entertaining Patumahoe way.
Thanks team Patumahoe and beyond for the donations that keep rolling in.
If you think you could sponsor or donate, please, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or Claire on 021967143, or any of the other PTA members.
This weeks Sponsorship Shout out goes to:
Raffle, Stall and Cash Donations:
Farmers Trading Company
Frog and Lilly
Paerata Rise Rise n Shine Cafe
Stirling Sports Pukekohe
- 19th August - School Cross Country
- 24th August - BOT Meeting - 4.45pm
- 24th August Central Group Cross Country
- 26th August - Daffodil Day Mufti - Dress in yellow - gold coin donation
- 26th August - Netball sausage sizzle
- 01st September - Zone Cross Country
- 02nd September - Caretakers Cup
- 7th September - Voting closes if a Voting BOT election is held
- 15th September - PTA Grocery Raffle Mufti Day
- 20th September - BOT Meeting - 5.30pm
- 24th September - Calf Club Day (SCHOOL DAY)
- 26th September - Year 5 & 6 Girls Basketball
- 27th September - Year 5 & 6 Boys Basketball
- 30th September - Last day Term 3 - 2.25pm finish
- 17th October - First day Term 4