Week of March 16, 2015
Dear Parents and Guardians,
2MU had a great week learning, celebrating, and dancing...read on to learn more about our activities.
- We learned about text and graphic features through our Journeys story The Signmaker's Assistant.
- We learned about synonyms
- Inspired by The Signmaker's Assistant, the children created their own Silly Signs.
- We read Green Is from the story Hailstone and Halibut Bones and then wrote our own "Green is" poem.'
- We wrote opinion letters learning to keep our audience in mind and using story details to support our opinions.
- As a Writer, we used a checklist to be sure our Opinion Letters contained the correct element to persuade our readers to agree with our opinion.
- During Daily 5, we wrote our own Leprechaun Comic using a graphic organizer.
- Using a Shamrock outline, the students responded to a writing prompt, "I am lucky because..."
- We created and wrote in our Personal Journal an A to Z list of items we saw in the Art Museum
- We continued to learn about fractions, focusing on realizing and understanding equivalent fractions.
- We completed hands on activities making equal groups with chips and denoting a given fraction to represent the groups. For example, 2/6 of 12 is 4
- We played an "Equivalent Fraction" game using fraction flashcards.
- We performed an experiment to see if a sugar cube would melt faster in warm water or cool water
- We observed salt crystals that formed once the water evaporated from our salt/water mixture we left in petri dishes.(Experiment 7)
- We visited the Philadelphia Art Museum on Wednesday
- We attended a Hip Hop Assembly sponsored by Lizzy Haddon's PTA
Which Melts a Sugar Cube Faster~Warm or Cold Water
Documenting Observations of Salt Crystals After the Water Evaporation Process
Our Visit to the Philadelphia Art Museum
Hip Hop Highlights