The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 41/January 10, 2021
This is what John the Baptist proclaimed: “One mightier than I is coming after me. I am not worthy to stoop and loosen the thongs of his sandals. I have baptized you with water; he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.”
Enjoy time with your family by choosing one or more of the activities below.
SUNDAY READINGS: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/011021.cfm
- "The Story of Jesus' Baptism and Temptation" By Bryan Davis
- "Jesus Speaks to Me about My Baptism" By Angela Burrin
- "Baptism Day" by Maïte Roche
- "Baptism: Incorporated into Christ's Body, Sent on Christ's Mission" https://www.usccb.org/about/justice-peace-and-human-development/upload/baptism-handout.pdf
For Teens: The Origin of Baptism is Jesus: https://catholiccurrent.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/twim-6-07-catechetical-corner-english.pdf
- Interview your family members about your baptism! Call some of the people who were there (grandparents, aunts, uncles, family friends, etc!) and ask them questions too! You can use this handout for help, or come up with your own questions! Write a short story with all the details you get! https://www.smp.org/dynamicmedia/files/e13c6a0b55ec28c0aa8b58cb13871c72/TX001374_2-Handout-D-Interview_Questions_about_Your_Baptism.pdf
- Compare Gospel Baptism accounts and chart it: https://www.avemariapress.com/engagingfaith/assign-following-comparison-of-accounts
- Use this handwriting sheet to cover some baptism association with young children https://www.thecatholickid.com/catholic-alphabet-letter-b-worksheet-preschool-kindergarten-cnt-mls/
- "Celebrating Baptismal anniversaries, A Family Prayer Service"
- "Renewal of Baptismal Promises" (originally for Easter Vigil, but good for today too!) https://onlineministries.creighton.edu/CollaborativeMinistry/Lent/baptismalpromises.html
- Create your own Paddle Balloon game (Click here for how to make). Blow up 3 balloons and label one "Father", one "Son" and one "Holy Spirit". Can you and your family keep all three balloons in the air at the same time? Time yourselves and challenge your neighbors, friends and other family members!
- Create your own Baptism Sensory table! What will you add?
(tip: instead of using water if you are indoors, dye some rice blue!) https://babydevotions.com/2019/02/21/the-baptism-of-jesus/
- Make an Oragami Dove:
- Make a holy water bottle necklace: https://www.catholicicing.com/make-a-holy-water-bottle-craft-with-catholic-kids/
- Make a River Jordan dessert from Catholic Cuisine to celebrate the Baptism of the Lord: https://catholiccuisine.blogspot.com/2016/01/baptism-of-lord-river-jordan-dessert.html
- If baptism makes us a part of God's family, what does that mean for how I treat other members of the family?
- How has my life been influenced by my baptism?
- They give the newly baptized a candle to symbolize the light of Christ and they are told to keep it burning bright. How do Jesus' teachings show me how to act, the way a candle shows me where to walk?
- Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist to show the importance of the Sacrament, even though he did not need to have his sins washed away. His baptism is the model for ours. How cool is it to share something like that with the Son of God?!