The SPIRIT of SKS
Saint Kateri School's Weekly Newsletter ~ September 16, 2020
We are off to a great start to the school ~ we appreciate all of your cooperation and patience throughout all of the changes in procedures! Our students ~ your children ~ have been absolutely amazing every day. They have filled our school with their laughter and busyness ~ and our hearts are full. We are very blessed to be able to offer in person instruction every day ~ it is good for them and it is good for us. Thank you for your trust in us !
I am excited to welcome some new Faculty and Staff this year ~ We have Mrs. Jodylynn Guentner teaching 3rd grade, Ms. Terry Valvo teaching a section of Preschool 4 year olds, and Mrs. Carrie Pellegrino is our new Technology Teacher and Technology Coordinator. Mrs. Gasic is getting ready to begin her maternity leave (She is SO excited for Baby Gasic!) and Ms. Caitlin McQuilken will be her substitute teacher while she is away. Welcome to Saint Kateri School!
We are going GREEN this school year with our Wednesday Envelope! This year all classes (Preschool - grade 5) are sending home an "Everyday Folder". In your child's Wednesday Everyday Folder will be any paper copies of current forms/paperwork that need to be completed by you and returned to school. Included in my Principal Newsletter each Wednesday will be a list of the papers sent home in your child's Everyday Folder that day. (see below ~) All Newsletters will be uploaded to the website and copies of any papers sent home on Wednesday will be uploaded to the website as well. Newsletters can be found under the Parents tab, and electronic copies of any papers sent home on Wednesday will be uploaded under the Parents tab-SKS Forms (This is in process as the DOR IT department handles creating that space ~ keep checking back.)
Next week we will begin our I-Ready diagnostic for grades Kindergarten - Grade 5. All DOR Department of Catholic Schools use I-Ready to evaluate the reading and math levels of their students three times a year. Classroom teachers use this information to help them better instruct their students. The diagnostic also helps our AIS team determine which students are in need of additional academic support through AIS. I-Ready diagnostics are done electronically on school devices and usually take two class periods to complete. We will begin with the ELA diagnostic, when that is complete we will then transition to the Math diagnostic.
I am looking forward to a great year ahead, may it be filled with growth in body, mind and Spirit!
Peace and Light!
Mrs. Terri L. Morgan, Principal
Phone: (585) 467-8730
Wednesday Communication papers sent home included:
- Model Release
- Internet Consent
- Notes to School
- Milk Order for for full day students
- Save Around Coupon Book for fundraising
Reminders from the Main Office
- Please send in your classroom Supply Fee and Emergency Contact sheet, if you have not already done so
- We are waiting for some families to complete the YELLOW ~ Normal Dismissal Routine paperwork.
UPDATED School Calendar
We were notified this week from the Monroe County Board of Elections that Saint Kateri School would not be a Polling Site for this years Presidential Election. Therefore, we are updating November 3rd as a regular in-school learning day. Below you will find the updated 2020-2021 SKS School Calendar
Please note: There will be school in the building on NOVEMBER 3rd
Upcoming Calendar Dates:
- 9/16: Save Around
- 9/22: Quiet Mass at 9:00am: 4th/1st
- 9/23: Spanish begins for Kindergarten-5th grade
- 9/25: Milk order forms due
- 9/28: Milk will begin for Preschool - 5th grade students
- 9/29: Quiet Mass at 9:00am: 3rd/K
- 10/6: K-5 School Mass at 9:00: 4th grade leading
- 10/9: NO SCHOOL ~ Superintendent's Day
- 10/12: NO SCHOOL ~ Columbus Day
- 10/13: Quiet Mass at 9:00am: 5th/2nd
- 10/14: School Pictures (more info coming)
- 10/15: School Pictures (more info coming)
- 10/20: Quiet Mass at 9:00am: 4th/1st
- 10:21: Saint Kateri Prayer Service at 9:00am
- 10/27: Quiet Mass at 9:00am: 3rd/K
Dismissal and Arrival:
- Please SLOW DOWN and be extra vigilant for cars crossing into the two lane drop-off/pick-up OR cars crossing into the Intermediate Car Line from the PK, Primary and Sibling Car Line. We are walking children to individual cars but would appreciate this extra level of caution too.
- Please hang you family name sign in your front window so that we can see it ~ when it is lying flat on the dashboard it is often difficult to see.
- When you are Arriving in the morning, please do not use Kearney Dr. ~ but you can exit through Kearney Dr. after dropping off.
COVID Chronicles ~ updates and information
If my child is sick will they need to have a COVID-19 test?
- If your child is sick and will not be attending school that day, please call the office at (585) 467-8730 after 7:30am. You can call before 7:30am and leave a message for office staff when they arrive.
- If a child becomes sick at school he will be brought to the Raphael Room in the primary hallway. Here he/she will be monitored by a staff member until a parent/guardian can pick them up. It is very important that you supply the Main Office with current contact information for authorized people that can pick up a sick child as soon as possible.
- If a child goes home sick, or is called in sick from a parent in the morning, presenting with any COVID-19 symptoms ~ they will need to receive an "All Clear" from a doctor in order to return to school. This does not mean that they will need to have a COVID-19 test, but that the doctor will need to be contacted to determine next steps. It is up to the physician to decide whether a COVID-19 test is necessary.
- This is the same procedure if your child has a temperature while in the Car Drop-Off Line in the morning.
- If a COVID-19 test is recommended, please call Mrs. Striffolino (School Nurse) or Mrs. Morgan (Principal) for next steps.
- If after contacting the doctor the diagnosis is something other than suspected COVID-19 (i.e. allergies, earache, strep throat, etc.) then the process is the same as in past years ~ Child has to be symptom and fever free for 24 hours without medicine.
Saint Kateri School in the News
Final Blessing of our Rising 6th Graders
Alumni Mass, Sunday September 13, 2020 at Christ the King Church
ARE YOU AN ALUMNI? ~ Do you know any Christ the King or Saint Kateri School Alumni?
Catholic Schools remain as important today as they have in the past. The bonds and friendships made through the years as a Catholic School family are strong ones
We would love to help our students see what a difference a Catholic education has meant to our community members, here and afar. To show them the many examples of being Christ for others ~ we could all use a little inspiration right now.
Please go to our website and add your name and information to our alumni list. You can even share a story or two!
It's Time for Boy Scouts
Now is the time to join scouts! Cub Scout Pack #233 meets 3-4 times a month. Sometimes we meet as the whole group of scouts from K-5, and sometimes just with our grade level group. We have a variety of activities and adventures, and get a chance to do many of the "classic" scouting things - hikes, woodworking and crafts, camping, service projects, pinewood derby, learning about science, nature and history.
This year we will be meeting for safe outdoor activities, working on scouting activities with our families and connecting periodically with our group.
- Pack website: pack233.org
- Facebook: @SKTCubPack233
- Contact Philip Schroeder: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is a chance to "come and see" what it is like and see if you would like to join.
Saturday, September 26, 3:00 pm – Pack Hike at Durand Eastman Park (Peace Garden area) https://www.facebook.com/events/738077060083909
Or stop by our booth at the Irondequoit Farmers market on Oct 1 Popcorn Show and Sell at Irondequoit Farmers Market
Share with your friends ~
We have availability in Preschool 3's and Kindergarten - 5th grade
Want to get $500 off your tuition? Click the link below to find out how ~
Please contact us with any questions you may have regarding the Registration or Financial Aid process.