Blanchard HS Band
December 2015 Newsletter
It's Beginning to Sound A Lot Like Christmas!
PS- How's the concert black fitting these days? Does your student even remember where it's at? :)
Check Charms to make sure your student's account is in good financial standing. All band, guard, and instrument rental fees must be paid in full by December 18th.
Calendar of Upcoming Events (always available on Charms!)
- December 5th, OMEA 2nd round auditions; Westmoore HS
- December 12th, Breakfast with Santa & Blanchard Christmas Parade
- December 15th, Winter Concert (grades 6-12)
- December 17th, All HS chair tests are due on Charms
- December 18th, End of the 1st semester; all band fees must be paid in full
- December 19th - January 3rd, Winter Break
- January 18th, No School
- January 20th-23rd, OMEA All-State Honor Band
- January 26th, Band Booster meeting @7pm; HS band room
- January 29th, HS band lock-in; HS band room
- February 5th, Parent-Teacher conferences (directors unavailable)
- February 5th-6th, All-Region Honor Band; Weatherford
- February 8th, 4th trip payment due
Breakfast with Santa - December 12th
Click here for a link to the event poster on the band website. We also have color copies so have your student grab a couple to hang up around town, at church, at work, or anywhere else that would bring in the community.
Blanchard Christmas Parade
All students need to be at the band room by 5:00pm to load and leave for the parade. The parade starts at 6:00pm and we should be back at the band room by 7:00pm to go home.
Trip Payment Due February 8th
If you are behind in your payments or you would like to get ahead, there are no payments due in December and January so you have some room to wiggle until the next payment is due.
Blanchard Bands Winter Concert
Mattress Fundraiser Reminder!
Background checks for volunteers
HS Band Students of the Month!
- Emily is a freshman tuba player who has improved immensely in her playing. She went to a summer camp that has paid great dividends, but the part that really made the difference is that she took what she learned and has continued to apply it. She auditioned for All-Region honor band and earned 2nd chair in the Symphonic Band. Emily has gone from struggling to keep up to hanging right with her section and holding her own. Beyond that, Emily has pushed herself even when life hasn't handed her ideal situations. Her attitude has stayed positive and upbeat when she had plenty of reason not to be, which is difficult for most adults to do. This young woman really showed us her strength and determination. We are incredibly proud of you, Emily!
- Anna is a senior clarinet player, the clarinet section leader, and a member of the Leadership Council. To say that this year is an immense improvement over last year would be an understatement. Anna has finally seen in herself what we have known for years: that she is superbly talented but in order to get the results of that talent, effort is required. Anna has chosen to apply herself this year and the outcome has been success! In the All-Region honor band she earned 5th chair in the Symphonic Band and made it to the 2nd round of All-State. While her playing is better, the biggest, most wonderful growth we have seen is in Anna's attitude. She is a light in our office every day, offering to help with anything we need, and creating ideas for others. She even gave up a senior off hour to volunteer at the middle school with the 7th & 8th grade band. She is a very special young woman and Oklahoma State University is smart to have accepted her already. Your future is bright and we can't wait to see you take the world by storm, Anna!
How to get credit for your monthly newsletter grade! Due by Friday, December 18th!
Remember, newsletters are only accepted during the month of the newsletter. Once the month has passed, that newsletter can no longer be submitted.