AEB Weekly 2/26/18 to 3/4/18
W. Charles Akins High School Band - Austin, TX
Message from Mr. Fincher Regarding Band Hall Security
The Akins Band Staff joins the rest of the Akins Faculty and Staff as well as the Administration of AISD in affirming our commitment to student safety, security, and piece of mind. Please know that the safety of students is at all times at the forefront of our thoughts and processes. We will continue to do everything possible to make sure that every Akins Band member is safe at all times.
Just a few reminders for everyone to help us ensure that all AEB and Akins HS students are able to learn in a secure and safe environment:
- Students that are not in the Akins Band or Color Guard programs are not permitted at any time in the Band Hall. Non-band or guard students that need to see a director should be escorted immediately to the directors' office. If a student who is not involved in AEB is in the Band Hall, ask them to leave or notify a director immediately.
- Please show up on time to sectionals and rehearsals in order to gain entry to the building. Doors are not to be propped open at any time for any reason.
- The exterior door from the Ensemble Room to the outside is not to be used at any time for any reason.
- Most importantly...if you see or hear something...say something!
The rest of the Band Staff and I are extraordinarily proud of everyone's handling of the events on Thursday, February 22nd. Together, everyone did exactly what needed to happen to ensure the safety of everyone in a tough situation.
Together we can ensure the safety and security of all Eagles and continue or pursuit of excellence.
Congrats to the Akins Winter Guards!
Please congratulate the Varsity Winter Guard on their 4th place performance of #lastchair Who will win?
Events, Announcements, and Information
Thursday is a Late Start - Check the Calendar for Sectionals and Full Ensemble Schedules
Students are responsible for staying aware of their schedules for sectionals and full ensemble rehearsals.
Please check the band calendar frequently to make sure you attend all required rehearsals and events.
Turn in Yankee Candle Catalog Orders
Online sales continue all spring...please see below!
Purchase Yankee Candle Company Candles All Spring - Earn Money for AEB to Fund Clinicians
This week we will hand out catalogs and information on our sale so you can support your band program by selling candles for the next couple of weeks.
The money earned from this sale will help pay for clinicians for the spring semester. Everyone is asked to participate!
Please direct your friends and family to the AEB website where a picture will allow them to purchase!
50% of All Band Fees Due 2/28
The next 25% (or 50% if past due) of fees are due on 2/28. The band staff will be reaching out to all families within the next week to update you on your current balance and to arrange payment of your fees.
Unfortunately, students/families who have not taken care of their financial obligations will not be able to register for band in 2018-2019.
Seniors who have not taken care of their financial obligations will not receive their HS Diploma, per Akins policy.
It is the goal of the band staff to work with all families to make sure that fees can be cleared.
You can make payments in the following ways:
Non-Varsity Full Orchestra UIL Contest
Tuesday, Feb. 27th, 8:15am-1:15pm
1500 Barbara Jordan Boulevard
- 8:15am - Arrive & Get Dressed / Percussion Pack and Load
- 8:30am - Load Charters
- 9:25am - Warm Up
- 10:00am - Concert Performance
- 10:30am - Sight Reading
- 11:45am - Depart for Akins HS
- 12:15pm - Arrive Akins HS & Change
- 12:40pm - All Students Attend B Lunch
- 1:20pm - All Students Attend 3rd Period
Attire is concert black.
Only instrument and music are allowed on bus. No backpacks or other items are permitted.
Varsity Full Orchestra UIL Contest
Tuesday, Feb. 27th, 11am-4:45pm
1500 Barbara Jordan Boulevard
- 11:05am - All Students Attend A Lunch
- 11:50am - Change to Concert Black
- 12:45pm - Depart Akins HS
- 1:40pm - Warm Up
- 2:30pm - Concert Performance
- 3:15pm - Sight Reading
- 4:00pm - Depart for Akins HS
- 4:45pm - Arrive at Akins HS & Dismissed
Attire is concert black.
Only instrument and music are allowed on the bus. No backpacks or other items are permitted.
Serrano's Pancake Breakfast
Saturday, March 3rd, 8-10am
9500 South Interstate 35 Frontage Road
Support AEB with a great breakfast!
Tickets available for $10 and include all you can eat!
Tickets can be purchased:
- At the door.
- Before and after school: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of this week.
Texas Youth Wind Symphony Concert
Sunday, March 4th, 4-6pm
2406 Robert Dedman Drive
- Jacob Arocha - Bass Trombone
- Marisa Bosquez - Flute
- Mauricio Orellana - Clarinet
- CJ Reyna - Bassoon
- Bobby Sepulveda - Trombone
Earn Money for Your Band Fees, Trip Payments, and Lessons
There are always shifts available and we are already needing people to work!
- Wednesday, March 7th - Booster Board Meeting - Akins HS - 6:00pm to 7:00pm
- Wednesday, March 7th - Booster General Meeting - Akins HS - 7:00pm to 8:00pm
- Wednesday, March 14th - AEB Spirit Night - Taco Cabana (9705 Manchaca) - 4:00pm to 8:00pm
- Thursday, March 22nd - AEB Spirit Night - Bush's Chicken (9815 Brodie Ln.) - 5:00pm to 8:00pm
- Friday, March 23rd - UT Wind Ensemble - UT Austin - 7:30pm
- Saturday, March 24th - Clinics with Mr. Benzer - Akins HS - All Day