Clarks Creek Staff News
April 11-15, 2016
A 4-year-old was eating an apple in the back seat of the car when he asked, "Daddy, why is my apple turning brown?"
"Because," his dad explained, "after you ate the skin off, the meat of the apple came into contact with the air, which caused it to oxidize, thus changing the molecular structure and turning it a different color."
There was a long silence. Then the boy asked, "Daddy, are you talking to me?"
When I read that, I was reminded how many times we think our students should understand and/or agree with what we tell them just because it seems so obvious about the "rightness" of it - to us. I remember a situation where a very experienced teacher that I taught with was reading the riot act to a student in the hallway as I passed by. As part of that conversation, her argument of, "You should know better!" fell on deaf ears. The particular student that she was talking to, in fact, didn't know better. While he should have, if he had the background and modeling by adults that we would all hope our students would have, the truth is, he didn't.
When working with some of our students, our response, rather than one of "you should know better" anger has to be one of "let me explain this so you can understand it" compassion. I know we all recognize students in our school that we approach from this compassionate side with a goal of adding back those undeveloped skills on a daily basis. Thank you for working with our kids where they are rather than from a vantage point of how we might speak to them if they were already where we want them to be.
it's going to be a great week!
ANNOUNCEMENTS AND REMINDERS
- Grandparents' Night is this week! Thursday, doors will open at 4:25 for the 4:30 event.
- We are working on narrowing a pool of applicants for our open second and fifth grade positions. Once that is done, we will do full-scale interviews, of which representatives from those grade levels will be a part.
- Due to Grandparents' Night, there will not be a staff meeting this week, but there will be one on April 21st.
- First grade and third grade will switch special class schedules on April 22nd due to the Walk-a-thon schedule.
- The Good News Club begins again this Monday; please make note of students who will be attending from your room.
- Marisa will be out on Wednesday morning for the cabinet meeting.
10-Day Forecast of Upcoming Events
- 4/11 May Field Trip Paperwork Due to MD
- 4/11 PTO Meeting 6:30pm4/11-4/15 Spring Book Fair
- 4/14 PTO will provide lunch!
- 4/14 Grandparent's Night 4:30-6pm
- 4/14 School Board Mtg 7:00pm Superintendent's Office
- 4/15 K Field Trip to Honey Farm; R Smith Field Trip to Western Bowl
- 4/15 Caleb Steely "Superhero Day" Fundraiser; American Cancer Society $5 Jeans Day Fundraiser (may wear jeans on Monday instead of participating in Superhero Day!)
- 4/18 to 5/6 IREAD Testing - Part 2
- 4/18 Classified Staff Dinner 6:00 at PHS Cafeteria
- 4/19 Alternate Schedule
- 4/19 Choir and 5th Grade Music Program; school preview time TBD, but anticipate late afternoon, then 7:00 Gym
- 4/20 Teacher of the Year Elementary Building Selection 4:00pm Conference Rm
- 4/22 Walk-a-Thon - See previously-released schedule