News and Notes
January 15, 2016
Our Awesome Educator of the Week is:
The future is ours because of what you do
Now you get the Lucky Longhorn Spot too!
The Future Is Ours...
Remember to tweet and hashtag :)
Don't forget to follow @lakesidecoppell
Thanks for keeping up the tweeting...
Thanks Cindy and Lisa for your participation in the #cisdchat on Tuesday!
Some Inspiration from MLK
Some Inspiration from each of you:
Here's a strategy you can try....
In two minutes, students recall and list in rank order the most important ideas from a previous day's class; in two more minutes, they summarize those points in a single sentence, then write one major question they want answered, then identify a thread or theme to connect this material to the course's major goal.
Trainings & Curriculum Updates
In an effort to keep you fully informed I'm including a link to the Curriculum Courier (admin newsletter). This link will give you access to current and past issues of the newsletter. The Courier will provide you with pertinent information for your grade and content area. Although some weeks are more informative than others you should try to review it regularly.
Please be sure to check out CC this week.
There's math information, a link to a Michael Wesch (3min) video clip, and training dates.
Kelly Fischer to Global Connections Meeting on 1/21
Gema to TASA and Principal's Meeting 1/25-29
Jan to Counselor's Meeting on 1/28
KN2K (Knows & Need to Knows) *Updated
In addition to some solid team planning time, you will have the opportunity to visit other classrooms to see some of the fabulous things that are taking place. Team Leaders were provided with this information but not the reflection link. Please use: Reflections from Class Visits to submit your "likes" and "wonders." Please note: this means everyone will get visited by colleagues next week. Just keep doing the great things you are doing and smile. :) This activity is not designed to take up more than 30 minutes (maybe 45) of your day.
The campus FLEX HOUR documentation printout is in my office. If you have any concerns with your FLEX HOURS please feel free to pop in so we can discuss it and set a plan of action. Those of you that are currently below the required amount (for the year) received a reminder email (you still have time).
GT Update Hours
I know this is a concern for many of you and I have shared these concerns with Laurie and Deana. Please be sure you have checked Eduphoria for new course options. Please keep an eye out for a 6 hour update through schoology as well.
Confidentiality and Child Find
If you missed our Monday meeting, you will need to complete the Confidentiality and Child Find slides and reflection in Schoology. The course information is in the Curriculum Courier and in an email I sent on Monday (the 11th) at 3:30pm.
Money, Money, Money:
Something that doesn't impact you is that the district will be changing our budget systems at the end of this year.
Something that does impact you is that because of this change our expenditures will be closed out a little earlier than they have been in the past. Although I don't have a due date at this time, it is important that you start to think about what items you need to get you through the next nine weeks and what items you need to for 2016 start up (yikes).
In the past your final expenditures have been due to me prior to Spring Break. We will keep this date but be prepared shop a little earlier should that date need to be moved up.
As always... If you need something now - let me know. Your December orders have been placed and should start to arrive within the next week or so.
- Startup Money for classroom educators will be $250
- If you are designated with your own budget line (clinic, counselor, library) then you can spend the remainder of your budget (let me or Barbara know if you want to know the number)
- Unique roles (Specials and Special Programs) will have unique budget numbers so please ask us if you want to know what to spend.
Something to consider is to let Barbara know of any construction paper colors or supply closet requests you might have so we can get those ordered as well.
UNDERSTANDING BY DESIGN - UbD
The Latest and Greatest Update:
- (this is a summary of what was shared during our Monday meeting)
1) A summer training date is being requested for a Lakeside specific summer conference where you will be asked to attend. You will earn 12 hours of flex for the two hour training.
2) The district will have two summer conference sessions that would be a backup option for your UbD training. The (tentative dates) I have gotten from Laurie are: June 20&21 or July 18&19. Summer Conference registration may be sent out in February.
- Remember: The Lakeside Summer Conference would be the preference since it would be specific for us and teams would be able to plan together.
What can you do in the meantime?
- Keep thinking about backwards design, PBL, and lesson design.
- *Check out the splash screens and the UbD components that are already there for you (this is on the Team leader agenda for next week).
- Review The Learning Framework and our district philosophy in these areas.
- Reflect on your day to day and content to content practice.
- Think about the questions you might have.
- Smile and keep doing the great things you are doing!
18) No Meeting Monday ... No School Either (FLEX day)
19) Grades Due plus Treat time for 5th *1st grade has moved their treat time to today
20) Mid Year Meetings* plus Treat time for K & 4th
- 4th Grade Program and
- Parent Learning Walks at 9 and 1 (cancelled)
- plus Treat time for 2nd & 3rd
22) Report Cards go home
25) Staff Meeting Monday -
- on the agenda: TELPAS with Ana and Formative Assessments with Annelise
30) LAKESIDE CARNIVAL
*Annelise sent you an appointment request...Please bring your completed yellow sheet to the meeting and be prepared to discuss it.
2/1-2/5 COUNSELOR APPRECIATION WEEK
2/1-2/4 A "LOVELY" Assessment Time Treat
- (please visit this link and let me know if your assigned time DOES NOT work for you)
- This is a great time to administer, assess, or enter MOY assessments.
2/3 ESL Walkthroughs with Penny
2/4-2/5 Gema to TEPSA Board Meeting
2/9 Gema to Principal's Meeting
2/12 2nd grade Poetry Celebration and Valentine Parties at 2pm
2/15 Professional Learning Day - No Kids on Campus
- On the agenda:
- 8:15am-10(ish)am Michael Wesch presentation at CHS (all staff)
- 10:30-11:30 am TELPAS training with Ana (most of us) @ Lakeside OR
- 10:00-4:00 Knezek Training for Special Education (K&S)
- 11:30-12:30 Lunch on your own
- 1:00-3:00 Diversity Training with the Hindu University of America @ Pinkerton
- 3:00-4:00 Debrief and Team Planning
2/18 Parent Learning Walks @ 9 & 1
17) Carla McCown
26) Melissa Warren
The following Lakeside staffers have perfect attendance for the 2nd nine weeks:
$2 Tuesdays with a Twist: With a $20 donation to the American Heart Association Cindy will give you 10 jeans passes that can be used to supplement the denim days below. It's a good cause and a great incentive. Per Cindy's request donations will be accepted until Jan. 15th.
- AHA passes can be used between Jan. 11th and March 21st.
Wednesdays will be College Days for staff and students
Fridays with a Lakeside or CISD Tee