Normanby School Newsletter 24
Wednesday 9 December, 2020
Tēnā koutou katoa – Warmest greetings to you all.
What an amazing past week and a half we have since I wrote our last newsletter. On Friday, the Puanga Hub children had a superb Big Day Out in New Plymouth, ten pin bowling, playing mini golf and then swimming. Thank you to our parent helpers who assisted with supervision on the day - again I emphasize that we would not be able to do these sorts of activities without parent / adult helpers so we sincerely thank you. The children were really well behaved and modelled our school values appropriately and I received lots of comments about what a pleasure they were to be around.
On Monday night we celebrated the end of an era for our Year 6 students who leave us to head in a different direction for their intermediate schooling. What a wonderful night we all had, with great food, great company, lots of wonderful words and memories shared and even a few tears shed. Thank you to the BOT, PTA and school staff for their contributions to make this evening extra special for our Year 6 leavers. I am sure the children will remember this with very fond memories.
At the moment teachers and children are working hard in preparation for our End of Year Concert. There is an air of excitement and busyness at school in anticipation for our STARS to shine. Some points to consider:
- Children have their practice at The Hub tomorrow 9am to 1pm - children are being transported to and from The Hub by bus.
- Family, friends, all whanau are all invited - Thursday 10 December - starting at 7pm and just a gold coin donation.
- Final Christmas Raffle tickets will be for sale on the night.
- The raffle will be drawn on the night.
- It gets very hot sitting in the Hub so please dress accordingly.
- Also bring water bottles to ensure you keep hydrated.
- Please make sure your children are at The Hub between 6.15 and 6.30pm. Kapa Haka students particularly need to be there at 6.15pm please so that they can get dressed and ready for their performance.
Last week we presented our end of year school data to the BOT. We are very pleased with the progress children have made in each of the core curriculum areas. Our focus is on accelerated progress in the learning - this means that children progress more than what is expected. The results of accelerated progress are as follows:
- Writing - 71% of our children achieved accelerated progress
- Reading - 71 % of our children achieved accelerated progress
- Maths - 66% of our children achieved accelerated progress
This data shows to us that the intervention programmes that we put in place this year (MST, ALiM, Quick 60, Five Plus) as well as the professional learning focus to ensure teachers are providing appropriate teaching and learning programmes to target specific learning progressions, has been successful. We thank the BOT for continuing to provide funding to allow us to continue this focus in 2021.
On Monday 14 December your child will bring home a letter indicating classroom and class teacher for 2021. In the afternoon children will visit their new classroom and get to meet most of their new teachers. This letter will also give instructions on how to make an interview time for the Head Start Hui on Friday 5 February. This is an important time for you and your child to meet with the class teacher and set personal goals for 2021.
On Tuesday 16 December we have our special formal School Prizegiving upstairs at The Hub starting promptly at 10.30am. Please start arriving from 10.15am so that you are seated ready for the start. The children will come to school in the morning as usual (clean uniforms and looking smart please) and we will transport them to The Hub by bus.
Over the school holidays and into Term One 2021 we have some exciting changes with our school property so look out for these wonderful additions:
- Exterior of the school will be painted (interior to be painted in April 2021 School holidays)
- New shade system for Puanga Area (by Basketball courts)
- New shade system over the Matariki Hub sandpit
- New shade system over the deck area by the playground
- New Heat pump / Air conditioning unit in room 7
- New top of the range security cameras - 14 in total (installed the week before Christmas)
- Upgrade of our whole security system
- New fencing project (provided by the MOE) right around the whole school.
With only 5 days left of our school year, this will be my last newsletter for the school year. Thank you to our school community for your continued support of Normanby School. I am truly blessed to lead a school with such delightful children and hardworking staff. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. remember the reason for the season, keep your whānau close to you, and have a safe and enjoyable holiday. I look forward to seeing you all for the Head Start Hui / Learning Conferences on Friday 5 February 2021.
Ngā mihi nui
WORKING TOGETHER CREATES THE BEST OUTCOMES FOR THE CHILDREN.
He rau ringa e oti ai
Many hands make light work
Encourages people to work together. It can be used to invite people to participate or to acknowledge the effort and work of many.
Contents of this week’s newsletter
- Classes and Head Start Hui for 2021
- Stationery for 2021
- End of Year Concert
- School Photos
- For Sale - Monitors and Keyboards
- Whanau Morning and School Assembly
- Touch Rugby
- Touch Rugby Draw for Thursday 10 December
- December Birthdays
- Last day of school for 2020
- Term Dates 2021
- Coming up in Weeks 9 & 10
- Community Notices
Classes and Head Start Hui for 2021
Letters will go home on Monday 14 December indicating your child's classroom and teacher for 2021, plus providing you with the information that you need to book your time for our Head Start Hui Conference that takes place on Friday 5 February 2021.
Stationery for 2021
Ngahere (Rooms 5 & 6) - $25
Matariki (Rooms 7 & 8) - $30
Puanga (Rooms 1, 2, 3 & 4)- $30
We only have limited numbers available so if you would like to reserve one for your child/children please make payment into the school account using your child's name and the name of the pack they require as reference.
Normanby School Board of Trustees
15 3950 0406446 03
End of Year Concert
The theme for this year's End of Year Concert is "Kiwiana" and is being held on Thursday 10 December. The concert starts promptly at 7pm. All children need to be at The Hub no later than 6.30pm please. We would really like it if you could get the Kapa Haka students to The Hub from 6.15pm please.
- Keyboards $5
- Montors $20
WHANAU MORNING AND SCHOOL ASSEMBLY
This Friday 11 December we have our final whanua morning and school assembly for the year. The student leaders will be running this assembly.
The following Normanby STARS will be acknowledged. Athletics certificates will also be issued.
Mr Jones choice: Isabella Ogle
Room 2: Jesha Brown - Hazeldine
Room 3: Levi Garland-Barwell
Room 4: Havana Brown-Hazeldine
Room 5: Melah Cook
Room 6: Beck Werder
Room 7: Cataleya Goble
Room 8: Nixon Holdem
Principal’s Certificates (Plus a Duffy Book Prize)
For pursuing excellence and making the most of their 2020 school year.
Mr Jones choice: Max Surgenor
Room 2: Lucy Fearnley
Room 3: Kaia Prince
Room 4: Quinn Gray
Room 5: Tyler Wilson
Room 6: RJ Eru-Graham
Room 7: Ivy Holdem
Room 8: Eva Cleary
Touch Rugby Draw for Thursday 10 December
Touch Rugby Games - Finals this week - Thursday 10 December
Year 1 & 2
Normanby Roosters Play Normanbvy Eels at 4pm on Field 2A
Year 3 & 4
Normanby Titans Play Turuturu Dragons at 4.35pm on Field 3A
Normanby Broncos Play Inuawai at 4.35pm on Field 3B
Year 5 & 6
Normanby Panthers Play Tawhiti Typhoons at 4pm on Field 7
Normanby Warriors Play Tawhito at 4.35pm on Field 5
Please be at your game 15 minutes before the start.
Have fun and show outstanding sportsmanship regardless of placings.
Please wash shirts and bring back to school no later than Monday 14 December for those who borrowed school shirts. Once returned, parents can collect bond payments.
Wednesday 9 December - Havana B - 9 years old
Friday 11 December - Tyler B - 7 years old
Saturday 12 December - Phoenix G- 9 years old
Sunday 13 December - Nahina T - 7 years old
Monday 14 December - Akeelah L - 9 years old
Monday 14 December - Ethan L - 9 years old
Saturday 19 December - Lucian K - 11 years old
Monday 21 December - Sativa B - 8 years old
Wednesday 23 December - Ella R - 6 years old
Tuesday 29 December - Larney C - 6 years old
Thursday 31 December - Danni F - 7 years old
Coming Up in Week 9 and 10
What's happening in Week 9?
Wednesday 9 December
Happy Birthday to Havana Brown-Hazeldine - 9 years old today
- 9.30am - Turn on the Light Play for Matariki Hub
- 11.40am - Hawera Library Visit to talk to children about the Summer Reading programme
- Touch Rugby practice
Thursday 10 December
- At the Hub all day - practising for the End of year Concert
- Finals of Touch Rugby Games
- Children to be at the Hub no later than 6.30pm
- Concert starts at 7pm - Gold Coin Donation
- Last opportunity to purchase Christmas Raffle Tickets
- Christmas Raffle Drawn at the Concert.
Friday 11 December
Happy Birthday to Tyler Baylis - 7 years old today
Final School assembly at 9.10am
School Patrol Leaders for 2021 trained at 1.50pm
Saturday 12 December
Happy Birthday to Phoenix Green - 9 years old today
What's happening in Week 10?
Monday 14 December
Happy Birthday to Ethan Long- 9 years old today
Happy Birthday to Akeelah Laupama - 9 years old today
- Letters home to families indicating 2021 classrooms and teachers
Tuesday 15 December
- School prizegiving at The Hub (upstairs) 10.30am to 12noon
Wednesday 16 December
- Last Day of school for the year - Term 4 finishes at 12noon