Davis/Martin Weekly Update
February 1 - February 5
January flew by and we are now in the month of February! We will be starting our annual Make A Wish fundraiser, so be on the lookout for more information this week. Can you believe we are almost halfway through the third quarter? With that being said, mid-quarter reports will go home next Wednesday, February 10th. Students have started the D.A.R.E. program. Each Wednesday, students meet with Officer Foust. They are encouraged to wear their D.A.R.E. shirts on this day.
Thursday, February 25th, UHI will be hosting a Night of the Arts. Parents and community members are invited to come see a variety of student projects, as well as enjoy dinner and a silent auction. Our classrooms are responsible for putting together themed baskets to be auctioned off. Mrs. Martin's class is making an ASU/Red Wolves basket and Mrs. Davis' class is making a Snack-a-Roo basket. Please consider donating an item to be put into your child's basket. All donations must be received by February 22nd. All money raised at the auction will go directly back to the students through our PBIS program.
Mrs. Davis & Mrs. Martin
IN READING & SOCIAL STUDIES:
- Reading: Students will practice determining importance in nonfiction text, which includes understanding main idea.
- Week 18 Vocabulary: ovation, emancipate, susceptible, tarnish
- Social Studies: Colony Creations - Students will be working cooperatively in small groups to create a colony of their own. They will apply the information they've learned about the 13 colonies to this project.
In MATH & SCIENCE:
- Science: We are studying Simple Machines and will be wrapping up our unit this week. Our TEST will be Friday.
- Math: We are moving on to multiplying and dividing whole numbers and decimals. We will be working on number patterns and two digit multiplication of whole numbers.
- We will start working on a new program called Moby Max, be on the look out for more information. Students can continue to work on Khan Academy and Front Row Math. Students are allowed to work on it at home.
- Weekly Reading Log: 20 minutes of reading, 5 nights per week, DUE MONDAYS (this is averaged into your child's reading grade)
- Weekly Vocabulary Page: This will go home every Tuesday, and needs to be completed and returned every Wednesday
- Students will most always have math homework every night through the week, Fridays and weekends off.
- Have you downloaded the Nettleton app? If not, go to your app store and search for Nettleton Public Schools. You will be able to email staff, receive information regarding school closing and much more!
- If your child is going home a different way than usual, please call the school to let us know. Many parents will email or text teachers but often times teachers have their phones off. We want to make sure that your child makes it home safely!
Mon. Feb. 1: Raider of the Month Luncheon & G/T Guest Speaker
Wed. Feb. 3: D.A.R.E.
Fri. Feb. 5: Simple Machine Test
Mon. Feb. 8: Honor Roll Pancake Breakfast for 5th grade
Tues. Feb. 9: Spring Pictures
Wed. Feb. 10: Mid-Quarter grades go home
Fri. Feb.12: Make a Wish and Valentine's Party
Mon. Feb. 15: President's Day - No School