Carthage ISD Technology Department August 2016
Back to School Issue
With Google Apps everything automatically saves as you work and it adds it automatically to your Google Drive. You can also share any file using Google Apps. You share it, the recipient accepts and/or views it, then it automatically saves it to the recipients Google Drive. No more copying and sending attachments in email.
You can also upload other files to Google Drive such as lesson plans, worksheets, etc. If you have PDFs, you can upload to Google Drive, open with Docs, then edit. But, be aware that you will need to proofread carefully to be sure the translation keeps the document readable and accurate.
All Google products can be accessed anywhere you have internet access. Google also has apps available to use these products on your smartphone or tablet. If you need any help with Google Apps or Gmail, feel free to put in a ticket.
1. Computer is slow--Microsoft sends out updates every 2nd Tuesday of the month, Patch Tuesday. First the updates are downloaded to your computer. Then when you restart, the updates are installed. If you will do a restart on your computer before you leave for the day, this process will happen at night. If you turn off your computer each day, your computer will perform this process while you are at work, preventing you from using it.
2. Mouse will not work--check the plug on the back of the tower. Unplug and plug in and see if this corrects the problem.
3. Keyboard will not work--check plug on back of the tower. Unplug and plug in and check to see if it now works properly.
4. Monitor will not dispay--check the plugs to be sure it is screwed in tightly and be sure the power button on the monitor is lit.
ELMO, Computer, or Projector display trouble
If you notice that your image is not displaying to fit the SmartBoard, use your projector remote and click on the Aspect Ratio button until it fits correctly.
1. Is the SmartBoard light green?--If not, check the wiring behind the board to make sure it is connected tightly.
2. Check to make sure nothing else is touching the board, such as a chair or table pushed up against it. This will cause the board to not work correctly.
3. If you use the pen, but things just don't appear to be lined up correctly, maybe the board needs to be calibrated. Push the two buttons on the tray at the same time and red target marks will display in every corner. Using a SmartBoard pen, tap each mark in the order that is displayed. Your board is now calibrated.
Always have a backup plan!
Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer....Which one do I use?
I wish one browser worked for all software applications, but unfortunately, that's not the case. Any time you have trouble accessing a website, try another browser.
Gmail--Use Chrome. Chrome is a browser made by Google. Therefore any Google product works better in Chrome.
TxEIS & txGradebook--We have been told to use Mozilla Firefox for these two web-based products. But, use the browser that works best for you. If you are using Chrome and have no problems, then use Chrome.
Internet Explorer--TEA recommends Internet Explorer for all of its software applications, such as TEAL. But, if you have trouble, try Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Registration Step 1
- Click this link to get to the txGradebook login screen. Look to the right and click to be a New User.
- Your Staff ID is your Employee ID number. For txGradebook, this number must be six digits. If your staff ID is only four digits, add two zeroes in front of your Employee Id.
- Then type your last name and first initial.
Registration Step 2
- Create a User ID--Must be between 6-8 alpha-numeric characters (example: ABC5555)
- Create a Password--Must be between 6 and 9 alpha-numeric characters. Must contain at least 3 of the following: uppercase, lowercase, numeric, and/or punctuation.
- PIN--Must contain 4 numbers
Registration Step 3
You will be asked to create three security questions. Please choose your questions carefully so that you will remember your answers when you need to reset passwords, etc.
Anytime you forget your password, look to the right of the login screen and click on Forget your password? Once you click this link, your will be asked to enter your User ID and then answer your security questions. Then you will be allowed to change the password.
The txGradebook settings will force you to reset the password every 120 days, usually around January. Please follow the directions as the system prompts you to change the password.
Your campus principals will go into details about call-in times and district absence procedures and policies.
Still Need Technology Help
Emergency Tech Help
Debby Simpson--Administrative Assistant
Terry Caudle--Systems Administrator
Richard Sullivan--Network Administrator
Mark Baisden--Technology Specialist
Penni Munroe--Technology Specialist
Message from the Director
I hope everyone has a great school year. Don't hesitate to ask us for help!