GRE Staff Newsletter
For the Week of November 12, 2018
The temperature is definitely reminding us that we are just a few weeks away from winter. This means we are approaching the half way point and soon Grade Card time will be upon us. With so much going on it is often easy to leave grade cards until the last minute. I suggest though, that you begin to think about comments, Keys to Success behaviors and end of year mastery and where your students are at for what you have accomplished so far this year. You are able to begin this work any time. Starting now, will allow you to think through adding thoughtful comments for each of your students. What strengths are they demonstrating? Where are there opportunities for growth? What do you hope they accomplish before the end of the year? The comments section is going to be more important than in the past due to only providing two grade cards. If you or your team has questions, let's start talking those out now to help lessen the stress in December.
A huge shout out and thank you to DeAnne and the Veteran's Day committee! What an amazing celebration. DeAnne worked so hard behind the scenes to create a special event not only for our Veteran's but for our students as well. The student presenters and 2nd grade singing were spot on and it was neat to see our students learning the true value of Veteran's Day. Everyone at GRE was so flexible and supportive which created a very positive experience for all. If you see DeAnne or other members of the Veteran's Day committee, be sure tell them "way to go!"
Here's to another great week at GRE!
News to Share
1. If you have not had a chance, please take the time to check out the Facebook Live, State of Schools event that took place on Thursday. It is very informative and gives great insight on what is happening in different buildings and departments around the district. Again, thank you to everyone that helped to make this a successful event!
2. It is important that you take time to read through the directions on how to create a secure login for open enrollment that opens up this week. PLEASE READ THROUGH THE DIRECTIONS that Claire Paul sent on October 29th. Her email includes step by step instructions on how to log into the system.
3. This week we will begin sign ups for Eagle Ed. We will be signing up students by grade level this year.
1st grade: Monday, November 12
2nd grade: Tuesday, November 13
3rd Grade: Wednesday, November 14
4th Grade: Thursday, November 15
Kindergarten: Friday, November 16
If a student says they will not be here, do not sign them up for a session. If they are here on the day of Eagle Ed, please sign them up for a session, or reach out to Mrs. Keller and she will assist in getting them signed up. If a student is absent on the day that their grade level is supposed to sign up, please have them sign up on the day they return to school. If you need any help signing students up for sessions, please feel free to reach out to any specialist teacher.
4. Big Walnut will be featuring a Staff Spotlight feature on their Social Media. GRE will be featured Nov. 16th, January 18th, March 15th. Please complete this survey if you are willing to be a part of this! I've only had one teacher sign up-it only takes a minute to respond, please consider sharing how amazing you are with our community.
5. The book fair begins this week! Preview day will be Wednesday, November 14th. Please click here to sign up for a time to take your students to the book fair and preview the selections. The book fair will be set up for buying at these times:
November 15th: 8:00am-10:00 am; student may come down to buy books during this time
November 16th: 2:00pm-4:00pm; students may come down to buy books during this time
November 19th: 4:30pm-7:30pm; the book fair will be open for families to buy books during parent teacher conferences (think...holiday shopping:)
The book fair will be set up where we normally have students seated for lunch dismissal. Beginning on November 15th, dismissal lines will line up behind the cafeteria in the hallway, please pick up your students there. Students should come to lunch by walking around towards the front of the building (lobby area) and enter lunch by where we line kids up to go through the lunch line. We will do this November 14th-19th to avoid disrupting the book displays. See me if you have questions.
6. Box Tops are due this Tuesday, be sure to turn in your Box Tops! This is free money for us so let's encourage students to get these in.
7. We will have a PAC meeting this Thursday, if you have questions or concerns, please let your PAC representative know or feel free to come and chat with me directly.
PLC Weekly Challenge
Shout out to...
-1st Grade team and 4th Grade team for chatting about reinforcing, reminding and redirecting language!
This week's PLC challenge is to talk about student conferences. Reflect on this checklist from our staff meeting on Tuesday. As a team, what do you agree or disagree with? How might you use this to guide one student conference this week. Share ways you include student conferences at your level.
If you complete this week's challenge you can earn a Casual Sticker! Be sure to send your team notes to Kate!
Need a little humor? Me too:)
Week at a Glance
Tuesday, Nov. 13- B Day; Second Grade Eagle Ed Sign Up;
Wednesday, Nov. 14- C Day; Book Fair Preview Day; Third Grade Eagle Ed Sign Up; Yoga at GRE 4:15
Thursday, Nov. 15- D Day; Last Day for Food Drive!; Fourth Grade Eagle Ed Sign Up; Book Fair Shopping from 8:00-10:00 am
Friday, Nov. 16-A Day; Emergency Bus Evacuations; 2nd Grade Pioneer Day; Kinder Eagle Ed Sign Up; Book Fair Shopping from 2:00-4:00 pm
Upcoming Important Dates:
November 19 P/T Conferences 4:00-8:00pm
November 20 Eagle Ed-see assembly schedule
Nov. 21-23 NO SCHOOL
Please share with your families through newsletters, emails or other communication methods.