Bella Vista Staff Bulletin
05/04/2015 v.1 issue 28
Quote of the Week
Going Deeper with Common Core Implementation: The Four Ts (Talk, Task, Text, Time)
- Introduced in November 2014, the District’s Instructional Priorities reflect our academic focus. Regardless of the content area, the “four Ts” define the expectations for rigorous instruction in all classrooms in Oakland.
- Teachers should review the 4Ts observation tool, which will be used by principals and teacher leaders during walkthroughs, to see expectations in more detail. Teachers should celebrate their strengths and understand where they need to improve.
- The 4Ts observation tool draws from indicators of performance from the new teacher evaluation program, known as TGDS, that will launch in fall 2015.
Summer Reading Lists for Students
- OUSD and the Oakland Public Library have published their annual summer reading lists. The elementary reading list, which is incorporated into TeachingBooks.net, is searchable by genre, grade level, text complexity, and subject content.
- This year’s summer reading challenge is called “Read to the Rhythm”. Shout out to Ms. S. Tai for sharing the “Read to the Rhythm” poster outside her classroom door!
- There is still time to schedule a walking field trip to the Lakeview Library. Call (510) 238-7344 for more info.
Yard Duty Concerns
Since the new yard duty schedule was implemented in late March, problems still persist, including:
- late arrival of teachers to yard duty and for class pickup
- failure to bring the recess radio onto the yard
- loss of shared recess equipment
Therefore, we will revisit the shared recess concept for next year.
Prop 39 Updates
- Last week OUSD presented American Indian Model Schools (AIMS) with a revised Facility Use offer for the portables for students in grades 3-5.
- On May 1, AIMS signaled their acceptance of the offer to co-locate at Bella Vista without specifying which space, so District negotiators are working to clarify AIMS’ response.
- We will host a community engagement session on Prop 39 developments on Thursday, May 14, at 7:00 (following Open House).
- The Board of Education will vote on the proposal at its Wednesday, May 27, meeting.
Here are the highlights of the PTA-sponsored Spirit Week (May 15-21)
- Fri 5/15: College Day (featuring speakers for College & Career Day)
- Mon 5/18: Pajama Day
- Tue 5/19: Crazy Hair Day
- Wed 5/20: Sports Day (and Walkathon)
- Thu 5/21: Grade-Level Colors Day
The Walkathon will begin at 1:00 on Wednesday, May 20, with all classes coming to the yard to walk until dismissal. Students will be invited to continue walking after school. The walkathon plan will be presented during the May 11 Faculty Meeting.
Staff Fitness Fun!
- If you can't join us on May 30, some people are going to preview the trail on May 9. Let Ms. Seaberg know if you would like to join that walk!
- Approximately 17 people from Bella Vista have signed up for an easy 5K walk/jog (most will walk) or a 10K on Saturday, May 30 at Point Pinole Regional Park. A few more have expressed an interest, so JOIN US!
- Oakland locals will carpool from Bella Vista.
- Click here for the race info and online registration.
- Even if you don't want to do the race, come on out and cheer us on or meet us at the finish line!
State Testing Updates
We applaud the efforts of students in grades 3-5, who have been working diligently on the online SBAC Summative Assessments for the past few weeks. In addition to SBAC, there are other state tests that students will complete this month:
- Fifth graders will take the paper-and-pencil California Standards Test for Science of California Modified Assessment for Science
- Students in grades 3-5 with moderate/severe disabilities will complete the California Alternate Assessment (CAA)
Results from these tests will be available in August.
Trimester 3 Report Cards
- Teachers can now begin entering report card data for Trimester 3. Complete information on report cards is available on Google Drive.
- Since we are using a transitional report card and cannot provide a mark for each Common Core standard, it is critical for teachers to use the comments section to note reading level and other descriptors of student performance.
- All marks and comments are due on Monday, June 8, at 8:30 a.m.
- Our annual Open House will be held on Thursday, May 14, at 6:00 p.m.
- In a departure from the traditional schedule, families will visit classrooms first, then come to the auditorium for refreshments, a general school update, and then the Prop 39 community engagement meeting starting at 7:00.
- Student work displayed in hallways must reflect assignments/projects completed in the last 30 days. Common Core or other relevant standards should be posted.
- REMINDER: There is no school on Friday, May 22 and Monday, May 25.
- Open Enrollment for benefits for OUSD employees ends on May 31. Employees are invited to the annual Benefits Fair this Wednesday afternoon at 1000 Broadway.
Mon., May 3
- SBAC SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT – GRADE 3 MATH CAT
- CALIFORNIA ALTERNATE ASSESSMENT (CAA) FIELD TEST WINDOW OPENS (for students in grades 3-5 with moderate/severe disabilities)
- LESSON PLANS DUE FROM: Cho, Chu, Gibbons, Lee, C. Nguyen, Prchlik, Duffy-Olsson, Smith, Takeuchi, Webb, Xiao and Yang
- 3:00 PBIS Planning Team Meeting (room 11)
Tues., May 5
- SBAC SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT – GRADE 3 ELA CAT
- CST/CMA SCIENCE GRADE 5 PART 1
Weds., May 6
- SBAC SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT – GRADE 3 ELA Class Activity
- CST/CMA SCIENCE GRADE 5 PART 2
- 10:45 Author Assembly with Joanne Rocklin for grades 3-5 (Auditorium)
- 1:00 Employee Health Fair (1000 Broadway, 1st Floor Atrium)
- 2:15 Professional Learning – PLC Meetings
Thurs., May 7
- SBAC SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT – GRADE 3 ELA PT Day 1
- Field Trip – California Academy of Sciences (V. Nguyen, Raj, Xiao, Yang)
- 9:00 Student Attendance Review Team Meeting (room 11)
Fri., May 8
- SBAC SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT – GRADE 3 PT Day 1
- 8:30 Safety Patrol Meeting (Auditorium)
- 1:00 Kindergarten Motor Skills (Auditorium)
Mon., May 11
- SBAC SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT – GRADE 3 Math Class Activity
- SPRING DISTRICT ASSESSMENT WINDOW OPENS (grades K-5)
- LESSON PLANS DUE FROM: Chen, Garcia, Hansen, Lew, Morente, V. Nguyen, O’Brien, Rajanikanth, Schooling, Stone, Tai, Thai and Ung
- 2:55 Faculty Meeting for all OEA members
- 6:00 EBAYC Camp Thrive Summer Program Info Session (Auditorium)
Tues., May 12
- SBAC SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT – GRADE 3 Math PT
- SPRING PICTURE DAY
- Field Trip – Tilden Nature Area (Ruth, Ung)
Weds., May 13
- SCHOLASTIC BOOK FAIR OPENS
- 1:45 Classified Staff Meeting (room 11)
- 2:15 Professional Learning – PLC Meetings (room 11)
- 2:15 TK PD (off-site)
- 7:00 17Y Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council Meeting (Auditorium)
Thurs., May 14
Bike to Work/School Day!
- Principals' Meeting Ms. Phillips is off campus
- Field Trip – Museum of Children’s Arts (Chu, Hansen, C. Nguyen)
- 6:00 Open House
- 7:00 Community Engagement Meeting for Prop 39/Co-Location (Auditorium)
Fri., May 15
- SBAC SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT WINDOW CLOSES
- CAA FIELD TEST WINDOW CLOSES
- SPIRIT WEEK BEGINS – COLLEGE/CAREER DAY
- 12:45 FIRE DRILL
- 1:00 Kindergarten Motor Skills (Auditorium)