West High Summer Newsletter
Letter from the Principal
I hope you are all enjoying your summer. I am looking forward to everyone's return in August. We had a tremendous year at West High school and I know that this year we will continue to build on those successes.
Here are a just a few highlights from the year:
- West High met our literacy goal by increasing the number of students proficient on the Open Response Writing by 10.51% from Fall to Spring!
- All juniors had the opportunity to take the ACT at no cost.
- The boys bowling team won the Conference Championship.
- Boys and Girls won swimming Conference Championships.
- Dance Team received 2 Division I ratings at the State Dance Competition.
- Two athletes earned All- State recognition this year with Cliff McCray for boys basketball and Holly Duax for girls track.
- Holland Larned was chosen as part of the outstanding performance award showcase for her Solo performance from State Competition.
- Cesar Augusto Macario Jiataz won first place in the city's Martin Luther King Jr. Art contest.
- Student Council was the Siouxland Blood Battle Champion for our school Blood Drives.
- The Class of 2019 earned over 3 million dollars in scholarships.
Our Administration Team continues to work through the summer to ensure a strong start to the school year. Mr. Ron Koch will be at West High full time as an Assistant Principal, along with Assistant Principal, Ms. Rebecca Reiken who will be returning to West High. Mr. Pace will continue in his role as Assistant Principal and Athletics/Activities Director. If I didn't meet you this past year, I hope to have a chance to meet you soon. I have felt so welcomed by the West community and look forward to serving again as Principal.
We Are WEST
Exciting news, Westside family! The Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports (PBIS) team has been working hard this summer to prepare for our Wolverines in the upcoming school year. We are fortunate enough to already have a solid foundation from the PBIS teams of years past, and now we're focusing on really fine-tuning our procedures and protocol. This means that our students are going to be better prepared for life outside the hallways of West High, will have more opportunities to learn skills for success, and gain more of the positive recognition that they deserve. We look forward to serving the community and our students by keeping our school Welcoming, Engaged, Safe, and Trustworthy!
- July 30, Fall Sports Parent Meeting, 6PM WHS Media Center
- July 31st, 11 AM - 1PM Free Community Grill Out at WHS
- August 13 & 15, 10 AM - 7 PM Registration and Laptop Check-out
- August 22nd, 7 PM - 9 PM Back-to-School Night
- August 23rd, 7:55 AM 1st Day of School