Cottonwood Creek Cougar Chronicle
Our Cougars REALLY know how to ROAR!
Congratulations to all the Cottonwood Creek teams for the participation in Destination Imagination. We are proud of you and your accomplishments!
- The fourth and fifth grade “Scientific Challenge” team, The Tuxedo Gang: “DI”ce is melting, came together, became a team, worked hard, built amazing props and made it to State! Congratulations Kapil Bhandaram, Sunand Bhandaram, Kinsey Perlman, Agastya Prabhu, and Hari Prasad!
- The rising stars team, The Creative Cheetahs, came up with an amazing story, built awesome props, had a great stage performance, and impressed everyone.Congratulations to this kindergarten/1st grade team: Rohan Bhandaram, Weston Bicker, Jack Feinstein, and Kelsey Perlman.
- Our 2nd grade team, Lightbulb Rock Stars, placed 3rd on their improv challenge and 6th overall Elementary Improv level. Way to go Sofie Preece, Aven Yates, Khadijah Ali, and Charlotte Colella.
- The first and second grade team, Cool Cougars, got second place on their play and fifth overall. They showed creativity and teamwork. Congratulations Reagan Miller, Haley Berger, Cooper Kauffman, Brynn Bye, Hartley Gaunt, and Peyton Talaga.
Is your child going to be absent?
If you know your child is going to be absent, please call our attendance line at 720-554-3295. It is extremely helpful if you know your child is going to be absent to call this number prior to 7:45. If your child is home sick, please indicate if your child has a fever or a cough when leaving your message. Thank you for your help in this matter.
How can I learn more about the future of Cherry Creek School District?
Each and every one of you plays a key role in our students’ success. Below are just a couple of the resources available to help you learn more about the future of Cherry Creek School District.
- Mapping the Future interactive website: A digital tool to learn more information about our schools
- CCSD Legislative Update: Updates on proposed legislation before the Colorado General Assembly that could have an impact on public schools and your child’s education
- Welcome to the Balancing Act!: Have a voice in your CCSD District Budget. Show your elected officials how you'd balance the budget.
- Cherry Creek: Future Forward: CCSD's new strategic plan, a roadmap for the future that builds on our legacy of excellence
Important CMAS Information
Dear 3rd, 4th and 5th Grade Families,
Colorado Measures of Academic Success (CMAS) Mandatory state testing for third through fifth grade is just around the corner. The Math CMAS assesses math concepts, math skills and procedures, mathematical reasoning, and real-world mathematical application. On the English Language Arts CMAS, students will be asked to read one or more texts, answer comprehension and vocabulary questions, and draw evidence from the text(s) to respond in writing. Practice resources for CMAS can be found at https://coassessments.com/test-prep/
If your child is in 3rd, 4th or 5th grade, please:
- Avoid scheduling appointments during the testing times listed below.
- Provide students with a good night of sleep and a healthy breakfast during testing.
- Keep sick kids home. We can have them make up tests when they return healthy.
- Let us know in advance if you know your child will miss any of their scheduled tests so we can plan accordingly.
- Remember, all students need to do is show what they know!
Below is a copy Cottonwood’s testing schedule. Please note that the minutes listed are the maximum amount of testing minutes for each unit/section. The testing time window is longer to account for special accommodations of extra time.
If you have any questions and/or concerns, please contact your child’s teacher.
Alison BernerAssistant to the Principal
Usbourne Book Fair March 31-April 3
From the Art Room
From Digital Media
Hi Cottonwood Cougars - this past month, 3rd, 4th and 5th graders have been working hard on making their book trailers using Adobe Spark or WeVideo. I’m in the process of transforming their trailers into QR codes, which can be scanned with our school iPads. I’m looking forward to having these trailers help our students know what books to read next! Kindergarten has been continuing to practice logging in to the computers and navigating websites. They are getting so fast at doing this! 1st and 2nd grade students have been doing animal research using Pebble Go, and are making movies to teach each other about their animals using Adobe Spark. It has been a busy month in Digital Media.
Just a reminder - the Usborne book fair will be visiting Cottonwood at the end of March (3/31-4/3). Students will be previewing on March 31, and the fair will be open before and after school during that week. Stay tuned for more details.