Learning Express Newsletter
Home of the Mountain Cubs September 2022
Helping Children with the Transition to Preschool
Is your child entering Preschool for the first time? Use these tips to to help both you and your child make the transition smoothly.
1. Remember that attending school is a parent's decision, not the child's. Avoid asking your child questions like "Do you want to go to school?" Instead, be excited about school when you talk about it with your child.
2. Practice reading stories at home or take your child to a story time at your local library to get your child used to sitting and listening to stories.
3. Establish a routine for "bedtime" and "wake up time." Young children need 8-10 hours of sleep. Begin this bedtime and wake up time a few weeks before school begins.
4. Attend school events that occur prior to the start of school to familiarize your child with the school and teacher.
5. Let your child pick out a new backpack or special outfit to increase their excitement about preschool.
6. If you have any questions or concerns, always reach out to the teacher to get clarification or make sure they understand any unique needs your child may have.
7. Remember that separation is a process. Expect that your child (and possibly yourself) will need time to feel comfortable with the new schedule.
Altoona Area School District Receives Pre K Counts Funding
Families that reside within the Altoona Area School District and meet the age and income guidelines for Pennsylvania Pre K Counts are encouraged to apply for a full day preschool spot at The Learning Express Preschool. The full day classrooms will open on Monday, October 3, 2022. AASD was awarded 2 classrooms with a total of 32 student slots.
Preference will be given to children who were 4 by September 1, 2022. The income guidelines listed below must be met to qualify.
Family Size of 2 = $54,930
Family Size of 3 = $69,090
Family Size of 4 = $83,250
Family Size of 5 = $97, 410
Call The Learning Express Office to inquire at 814-946-8465 ext. 5203
Super Heroes & Princesses Family Night
LEX Student Pick Up Procedures
1. Always ensure that the person picking up has the PICK-UP CARD that was given to students by their teacher. If you need extra cards, contact your child's teacher. Students will only be released to authorized people with the colored cards.
2. Your child will only be released to people you have listed on your child's emergency contact list. This form was included in your child's registration packet. If you need to add someone to your child's emergency contact form, please contact the school office at 814-946-8465 ext. 5203.
3. Anyone picking up a student should bring an id in case there are any questions or concerns.
LEX Pick Up Times are as follows:
AM 11:25-11:30 a.m.
PM/Full Day 2:55-3:00 p.m.
LEX Implementing Everyday Math 4
Reminders/ Upcoming Events
September 30, 2022 - In-Service, No School
October 10-14, 2022- Fall Break, No School