"Be the change you wish to see in the world."-Gandhi
Halloween Service Events
Buckhannon Academy Elementary School Fall Festival
Saturday, Oct. 26th, 12-3pm
2 College Ave
Tennerton Elementary School Carnival
Saturday, Oct. 26th, 11am-2pm
Route 6 Box 513 Buckhannon, WV 26201
Four student volunteers are also needed for face painting both at the Carnival (see #4) but also for another event at the school on October 31st from 1-2:30 pm. Interested volunteers should e-mail Cemantha Woody or call her at 304-472-9497.
Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods
Thursday, Oct. 31st, 5:30pm
59 College Avenue
WVWC students have been trick-or-treating in the community for non-perishable items for more than a decade...it's time you joined this Wesleyan service tradition!
Come to the Chapel oval at 5:30 pm on Thursday, October 31st to sign-up and receive instructions for Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods. Come by yourself, bring a friend, or bring your entire organization! Volunteers will go 'trick-or-treating' for nonperishable items at houses within a designated Buckhannon area. Bags and maps will be provided, but please bring your own bags if you have any! Collected items will be dropped off at the Upshur Cooperative Parish House on the corner of College Avenue and Sedgwick Street. Free pizza and soda will be provided to participants following the event.
WE LEAD News & Opportunities
- The WE LEAD Eco/Sustainability Team is doing a stream cleanup of the Buckhannon River this Saturday, October 26th at 1 pm. All volunteers will meet at the riverwalk then. Contact Bethany Jordan for more information.
- The WE LEAD Annual Events team is gearing up for "Trick-or-Treat for Canned Goods," an annual Wesleyan Service tradition. See above for more information.
- The Children & Youth Team is hosting an on-campus "Trick-or-Treat" event for local families on November 1st at 5:30 pm in the Chapel Oval. If you or your organization would like to offer treats or fun activities for local youth, contact Tracey Gregory. See above for more information
- The WE LEAD Annual Events team is looking for reliable volunteers to be trained to help with the Ten Thousand Villages Store that will be held in the game room November 13-20. The training will be held on November 12th from 6-8pm in the Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development (behind the campus bookstore). During the training volunteers will learn how to use the register and take inventory. Questions? Contact WE LEAD Annual Events team: Elaine Ashman at email@example.com or Shawna Clayton at firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Issue Team Meetings...don't miss these opportunities to learn more and get involved in the issues you care about!
- Social Justice Team Weekly Meetings, every Wednesday, 8 pm in the CCE (located behind the campus bookstore)
- Children & Youth Team Weekly Meetings, every Tuesday, 5 pm in the CCE
- Appalachian Experience Team Meetings, every other Thursday (Nov. 7 & 21), 6 pm in the CCE
- Animal Welfare Team Meeting, every other Tuesday (Nov. 5 & 19), 7 pm in the CCE
- Eco/Sustainability Team Meetings, every other Wednesday (Nov. 6 & 20), 4:15 pm in the CCE
- Health & Wellness Team Meeting on October 28, 8 pm, CCE
Requests from the Community
- Volunteers are needed for a mass mailing/labeling for WIC (Women, Infants, and Children), located in the WIC office next to Sam's Pizza. Two to three volunteers are needed to help prepare a mailing in mid- to late-October. Times and dates are flexible. E-mail Katie Loudin for more information.
- Volunteers are needed to help with Stockert Youth Center's Drill Team. The program directors are looking for eager students to teach children. If you can help or have experience with baton/poms/rifles/flags, please contact Briana Blake.
Stuff We Love
Center for Community Engagement & Leadership Development
We are located behind the campus bookstore on the second floor of the Benedum Campus Center. Check out the CCE website for upcoming events and more information about our programs!