Volume 1, Issue 2 - August 25th, 2017
All students at Gentry Middle School will be receiving new iPads this year. We are getting the "iPad", which is bigger than the mini; similar in size to the old iPad Air that Apple used to produce. The 8th graders will have keyboard cases with their iPads, and the 6th and 7th graders will have a sturdy case with a cover on it. The district has invested in sturdy, protective cases to help reduce breakage. Here are some quick facts about the iPads and cases.
- iPads are checked out to students for the school year. The iPad, case, cable and block are expected to be returned in May.
- Parents should help their student with a plan to charge the iPad nightly and remember to bring it to school every day. Teachers are planning curriculum around the use of the iPad, so students need to bring in charged and ready I order to be prepared for classes.
- Students will need earbuds for their iPad. We don't believe blue tooth earbuds work at this time, so please provide the wired type.
- Students should not take their iPad out of the case.
- Students should not have their iPad out in the hallway at school.
- Students will get all apps from the "Self Service" app.
· Students and/or parents should notify the media center immediately if the iPad is lost, damaged or stolen. The district policy on lost and break charges can be found here:
- Students should not decorate or personalize the case as these will be checked out to a different student next year.
- Students will have formal classes on Digital Citizenship taught by their teachers to point out various ways of staying safe on line. These lessons continue informally throughout the year.
- Student names will be placed on the iPad for the current school year with a label.
- The school issued iPad is an educational tool intended for the exclusive use of the student that it is assigned to and shouldn’t be shared.
- The school filter will work on the iPad at home.
- If students get a prompt to login at home, please enter their “22, 23, or 24” user ID (NOT email) and their school set password that begins with their student number and ends with their birthday month. Instructions can be found here.
8th grade iPads were deployed this week. We are waiting on cases and iPads for 6th and 7th graders and expect to receive those in mid to late September. Should you have any questions about your students iPad, please do not hesitate to contact the media center.
Cell Phones at School
We also want to remind you that if you are bringing lunch for your student, you can only bring food for your own child, not for other students. Please, refer to the student handbook for details.
Lost & Found
After School Activity Bus
Gentry AVID Fundraiser, Shakespeare’s Frozen Pizza
You are doing it wrong!
Dates to Remember
September 7 - Parent Focus Group
September 12 - AVID Ceremony
September 15 - Interim Progress Reports
September 26 - Picture retake day
For practices and games check Gentry website!