Waiting for Godot
Analysis on Pozzo
Social Construct 1: Education
- VLADIMIR: I must have made a note of it. (He fumbles in his pockets, bursting with miscellaneous rubbish.)
- ESTRAGON: (very insidious). But what Saturday? And is it Saturday? Is it not rather Sunday? (Pause.) Or Monday? (Pause.) Or Friday?
- VLADIMIR: (looking wildly about him, as though the date was inscribed in the landscape). It's not possible!
- ESTRAGON: Or Thursday?
- From just this scene, you can tell they have no clue what day of the week it was. When Pozzo comes along, he knows the time and how long things have happened, he keeps track of time. He even has a watch to consult with. A few examples:
POZZO: That was nearly sixty years ago . . . (he consults his watch) . . . yes, nearly sixty. (Drawing himself up proudly.)
- POZZO: Touch of autumn in the air this evening
From these examples, Pozzo is well aware of time. This shows how intelligent he is with keeping track of time and day which the other characters don't throughout the play.
Social Construct 2: Economic
Vladimir and Estragon food options:
- ESTRAGON: Is that all there is?
- VLADIMIR: I might have some turnips.
- ESTRAGON: Give me a carrot. (Vladimir rummages in his pockets, takes out a turnip and gives it to Estragon who takes a bite out of it. Angrily.) It's a turnip!
- VLADIMIR: Oh pardon! I could have sworn it was a carrot. (He rummages again in his pockets, finds nothing but turnips.) All that's turnips. (He rummages.) You must have eaten the last. (He rummages.) Wait, I have it. (He brings out a carrot and gives it to Estragon.) There, dear fellow. # (Estragon wipes the carrot on his sleeve and begins to eat it.) Make it last, that's the end of them.
From this, they are both low on food as well as, from previous knowledge of how food worked back in the old days. Fruits and Vegetables were cheap in the market and easy to buy. On the other hand Pozzo's food options is very different.
POZZO: (He opens the basket, takes out a piece of chicken and a bottle of wine.)
From my understanding, wine and meat is expensive in modern day living. From just the comparison of food, Pozzo has more wealth than the other characters by showing that he has the money to buy good food.
Also throughout the film, Vladimir and Estragon look a bit raggedy whereas Pozzo's clothing is more clean. With Pozzo having better clothing and better food he is able to display his confidence because of his wealth.
Social Construct 3: Religion
POZZO: (halting). You are human beings none the less. As far as one can see. Of the same species as myself. Of the same species as Pozzo! Made in God's image!
This small line shows alot of character traits for Pozzo. He knows that he is made in God's image, he literally decides right then and there, that he is God's image. Although he states that they are made in God's image the fact that he says "Of the same species as Pozzo!" almost saying if they weren't the same specie as him then they aren't made in god's image. The author had written this line for Pozzo in order to show how great and powerful he is because in reality God is known as the great and is respected and thought of by so many that being a resemblance of God means having a high level of importance which Pozzo portrays.
Sitting on his stool, laughing hysterically.
Pozzo & Estragon speaking to one another
Pozzo in the middle with Vladmir and Estragon on either side of him.