Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela
By: Tucker Windhurst
On the outside of the cathedral there are four facades. The west facade has two towers with the sculptures of Saint James's mother and father. This facade was built in 1738- 1750. The south facade was built in 1103. There are two entrance doors on this facade that have carvings of Jesus and other notable people and things. The north facade has a gate that suffered a burning in the 1700s but has been rebuilt. The east facade also has a gate. Through this gate there is the holy door which is hidden behind yet another gate. There are two bell towers in the front of the building. There is the north tower and the bell tower. The North Tower was designed by Fernando de Casas Novoa. The Bell Tower was finished in 1680 and raised the cathedral two floors.
In 997 A.D. Soon after it was discovered it was destroyed by the soldiers of Al-Mansur's Moorish army. During this invasion, the people of Santiago hid the body of St. James and was lost to public until the 1800s.