Bennett Bear Business Newsletter
Week of April 13, 2020
NEW to McKinney ISD Student Registration Opens -- Monday, April 13th
Hello, Parents of Future Bennett Bears!
Have you visited McKinney ISD’s School Locator to see if your home address is zoned for Bennett Elementary? If so, you are ready to enroll your new student(s) for the 2020-2021 school year through our McKinney ISD online registration process!
Registration forms for new students entering kindergarten through 5th grade will become available on Monday, April 13, 2020. To access these registration forms:
- Go to the McKinney ISD website at www.mckinneyisd.net
- Click the "Enrollment" tab
- Click the “2020-2021 New Student Enrollment”
While completing your online enrollment, you will be asked to upload the following documents:
- Current Proof of Residency – Must be a utility bill, gas, water or electric, house contract with closing date and/or lease with signatures.
- Student’s Social Security Card (optional - if you choose to not provide your child's Social Security Card, the state will assign your child a unique ID #)
- Student’s Birth Certificate
- Updated Shot Records
If you do not have scanning capability, you may take a photo of your documents and upload the photos in the online enrollment site.
If the above documents are not received in the online enrollment site, the registration will be incomplete. Questions about the registration process or uploading your documents? Email Bennett Elementary Registrar, Susan Jakobsen, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t wait to meet our new BEARS when we return to campus! Take care and stay safe!
Bennett's Spirit Week - April 13-17
April's Gratitude Calendar
Bennett Learning Commons - Welcome to Starbooks Cafe
The Bennett Learning Commons Virtual Reading Hall of Fame https://sites.google.com/mckinneyisd.net/reading-hall-of-fame/home
NEW!!! The Bennett Learning Commons Starbooks Café: Sip, Taste, Read!
- Goal: To introduce students to a wide variety of books, to encourage self-selected text, and to help develop a love of reading
- A collection of eBooks will be curated from online resources, such as Sora, Follett, and Audible Stories
- Most eBook resources will require students to log in. More information about these resources and logging in may be found on the Bennett Learning Commons Google Site under the tabs “MISD Distance Learning” and “How to.” http://gg.gg/bennettlc
- Only check out/borrow books you intend to read immediately
- If a book is checked out, you may add it to Sora wish list, or on Follett, you may place a hold.
Important Learning Commons Information from Last Week:
K-2 Texas 2X2 eLearning Challenge: Participation information and a collection of these books read online may found at http://gg.gg/hshz5
Six Flags Read to Succeed: The deadline to enter reading log minutes is April 17. More information may be found at http://gg.gg/SixFlagsApril2020
K-5 Major League Reading Challenge: Participation information may be found at http://gg.gg/elearningMLRchallenge
Student Book Recommendation Google Site https://sites.google.com/mckinneyisd.net/welovebooks/home
Pack Assorted Colors for Kids - PACK Week 1 - April 13-17
April Student & Staff Birthdays
13th - Liam
14th - Shiloh
15th - JayAna, Ella, Mr. Khreish - SPED Teacher
17th - Maili
18th - Kambria, Anna
19th - Kinley, Hailey
20th - Carter
21st - Yazmeen, Drake
23rd - Ithiel
24th - Camden
25th - Kaleb, Graeson
26th - Helene, Sarah
27th - Jaxton, McCall, William, Carly, Mrs. Scheidhauer - Speech Teacher
28th - Mrs. Woods - Dyslexia Teacher
29th - Jase, Rylee, Adalynn, Kendrick
30th - Georgia, Connor, Jack, Rhyan
Bennett Elementary Virtual College & Career Fair
Our social distancing won’t keep our Bennett Bears from learning about some of the many career options available to them, so here’s the link to sign up for our VIRTUAL College and Career Fair!https://forms.gle/CXsDbED1ux7Rk9br6
Christie N. Thompson
504 Campus Coordinator
From Nurse Martin - Be Sun Safe
McKinney ISD Grab & Go Meals - FREE to ALL McKinney ISD Students
Connect with Bennett Counselor, Christie Thompson - Virtual Counseling Sessions
Dear Bennett Parents,
I am happy to share that I will be available to consult with parents and communicate with students during the COVID-19 school closure, and I’ll be providing daily tips on announcements and weekly guidance lessons.
Here is more information about my virtual school counseling services:
REMIND alerts https://www.remind.com/join/thompsl (See attached pdf for more detailed instructions.)
- I will use Remind to alert parents when I’ve added a new guidance lesson, video, or resource to my site.
- This is a one-way communication tool, so email me if you need to reach me.
ZOOM or WebEx video meetings – I can consult with parents (and visit with students for up to 20 minutes beginning March 30th).
- Complete and submit this form for videoconferences: https://forms.gle/rxiJLiNU4qUrp1Dk9
- Confidentiality: to mitigate the confidentiality limits we’ll face, I will not record or save any of our meetings, but remember that it is occurring over the Internet where 100% security is not guaranteed. Also, I will still be required by law to report any instances of suspected abuse/neglect, or if I believe a student is a danger to themselves or to others.
a. If you, your student, or anyone in your family needs additional support, there is a nationwide
Crisis Text Line that you can access 24-7 by texting home to the number 741-741. A live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds from a secure online platform.
b. Please call 911 in the case of mental health emergencies.
Videos & Resources – I’ll be reading and sharing some books about topics like worrying, accepting ‘no’ for an answer, technology usage, flexible thinking, gratitude, etc.
- When a new video or resource is ready, I’ll upload it to my site and send an alert through REMIND. I’ll also provide these to teachers to upload to See Saw.
- Here’s the first one! It’s about worrying and anxiousness > https://youtu.be/aQlMcNLWtwI
- Please see the attached COVID-19 Resources for students.
504 Meetings –I will contact parents and teachers who had/have meetings already scheduled for after spring break to reschedule them. You’ll hear from me soon!
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. I will be maintaining virtual office hours Mondays-Fridays from 9-11 and 1-3.
Christie N. Thompson
504 Campus Coordinator
Update From McKinney ISD Health Services Department
Dear McKinney ISD Parents,
We wanted to remind you of the websites available for COVID 19 information:
- Information from the CDC on Coronavirus in the United States can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
- Coronavirus in Texas may be found at: https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/.
- The World Health Organization may be found at: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/
- The City of McKinney https://www.mckinneytexas.org/2256/Coronavirus-COVID-19
The following information is not an all-inclusive list of telemedicine sites and resources, but rather resources that have reached out to the MISD nurses with information to assist families.
- Drive through testing sites https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/testing.aspx
- McKinney Texas COVID19 hotline 972-547-9000
- Medicaid/CHIP application https://www.texaschildrenshealthplan.org/what-we-offer/chip
- Childrens Health virtual visits https://www.childrens.com/covid-19/for-patient-families/online-screening
- Family Health Center at Virginia Parkway telemedicine 214-618-5600
- Urgent care for Kids https://urgentcarekids.com/pediatric-telemedicine-for-kids/
- 211 may also be called for help with food, rent, utilities and community services
Here are also some asthma specific resources:
MISD Health Services
Virtual Office Hours for Bennett Staff
McKinney ISD Enrichment at Home Website
Students Earn Virtual Tickets at Home - For the April Stuffed Animal Giveaway
Bennett's April Friday Live - April 24th - Facebook Live Style
Submit a Joke for Upcoming Virtual Announcements
Istation At Home Parent Guide
During McKinney ISD at-home digital learning, the MISD technology department continues to offer support for students who experience technical difficulties.
The following support options are available beginning Monday, April 6.
Support for Students Who Have a Laptop:
If a student needs technology assistance during at-home digital learning, they should email email@example.com. This support option is available for high school students with a district-issued (1:1) laptop and any K-8 students who received a district-issued laptop during one of the laptop deployments that took place on Wednesday, March 25; Friday, March 27; or Wednesday, April 1.
Please note: Students should include their name, student ID number, school name, a contact number and a detailed description of the problem/request.
Support for Students Who Need a Laptop:
If a student needs a laptop to use during digital at-home learning, they should email their request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Students should include their name, student ID number, school name and a contact number with their request.
When an Appointment is Required:
—Technology Staff will make every effort to resolve student technology issues over the phone or by remote control.
—If a student must be physically present to take care of a technology issue—whether that is for repair, replacement or to receive a district-issued laptop—they are required to make an appointment with the technology department by emailing email@example.com.
—Appointments are available during the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The technology department will assign each student an appointment time.
—To maintain social distancing and reduce the risk of COVID-19 exposure, students should come to the Ron Poe Stadium Ticket Booth window to consult with a technician during their appointment time. If a parent brings the student to the appointment, we ask that they wait in the car when possible and maintain six foot social distancing if it’s necessary to accompany the student at the window.
Support for Parents Who Need Assistance with Home Access Center (HAC) Accounts:
Parents who do not know their username and/or password should email
firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your student’s home campus.